In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Having thrown the discus some 33,000 times he attempted to qualify for the 1972 Munich games and 1976 Montreal which were not successful.
- As far as performance goes, athletes are throwing the discus more than two times farther than the Greeks did, but records aren't falling as steadily as they used to.
- Their goal was to empower them to run faster, jump higher, throw the discus and javelin farther, lift heavier weights, and excel in all power events.
- A schoolboy died after being hit in the back by a discus thrown by another pupil during a school sports practice.
- However, I wasn't allowed to do the discus after a discus accidentally slipped out of my hand, and into the games mistress' car's bonnet, during a practice session.
- The wind wasn't as stiff as I would have liked it to keep the discus up.
- The shot and discus had special grips making them easier to lift.
- I was 18 years old, 18 stone, and I thought I could throw a discus - until this man-mountain arrived on the scene.
- Now allegedly just as the discus left the athlete's hand, a sort of gale arose and blew it many more metres than was expected.
- In 1999 he was investigated after trying to substitute a lighter discus in the AAA Championships when finishing sixth though nothing was proved against him.
- The modern discus weighs in at just 5 pounds, one-third of the original weight, and the long jumps were done with the contestant carrying a five pound weight in each hand.
- He then threw the discus 51.65 metres for 905 points, again the best performance of the field.
- She threw the discus a fine 32. 40m for second place.
- Rolling a ball at pins, throwing a discus or a softball, or spiking a volleyball incorporates the component of power.
- An inscription describing the truce was written on a bronze discus which was displayed at Olympia.
2(event)the discus — el lanzamiento de disco
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.