In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
(on horse)emisario masculinecorreo masculine
- Titchmarsh carried out his duties as a dispatch rider first on horseback and then on a motorcycle.
- A despatch rider who led police on a nightmare chase at speeds of up to 140 mph and who was only stopped after officers deliberately crashed into his bike, has been jailed.
- A dispatch rider at the start of the First World War, Portal was soon commissioned and then seconded to the Royal Flying Corps in which he served with distinction.
- When the regiment of Thomas Rusk reached Gonzales, where Stephen F. Austin was awaiting them, Thomas Rusk planned to send back a dispatch rider with any letters and his news to the towns they had left from.
- In fact, the first American to enter Germany after the ceasefire was reported to be motorcycle dispatch rider CPL Roy Holtz.
- He was deployed as a dispatch rider but is now driving the lorries distributing water.
- Anybody who wants to be a cycle despatch rider will tend to be a little alternative in their thinking, Mick admits - so it seemed natural to turn to a complementary health centre to keep them in shape.
- Each night an army despatch rider was said to visit the house, arousing suspicions it was used for intelligence gathering.
- Then 18, he travelled to London's Piccadilly to queue at the recruiting office of the Royal Engineers to try to enlist as a despatch rider because he wanted to exchange his Triumph motorbike for the more powerful military machines.
- My job was as a dispatch rider for one of the armoured brigades.
2British(on motorcycle)mensajero masculinemensajera femininerutero masculinerutera feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.