In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Apparently the dispute in the dissidents ' camp is unresolved to this day.
- Even Chinese democracy activists and dissidents take the borders of China as an indivisible given.
- The refugees are trapped between Guinean government forces and those of rebel Guinean dissidents.
- The dissidents are by no means all pacifists, much less opponents of a resurgence of British imperialism.
- In reality a number of prominent anti-Nazi dissidents and artists did take their own lives while in exile.
- They located or procured party dissidents and sensationalised their grievances.
- He set up a legal practice in the same year, defending dissidents against the Salazar dictatorship.
- Each group's militias have arrested human rights activists, newspaper editors and other dissidents.
- Rawa was responsible for showing the world the summary execution of dissidents in Afghanistan.
- The regime routinely jails dissidents, has tortured them, and bans all opposition.
- Only in the metropolis can gays, Jews, women, dissidents, democrats and oddballs feel safe.
- Ultimately the Republic becomes the Empire and dissidents are forced to launch an armed insurgency.
- Political dissidents have long warned of the dangers if such a strategy is not implemented.
- What if the six women turned out to be persecuted human rights dissidents?
- It knew of plans to carry out killings of exiled political dissidents and, at the very least, did nothing to stop them.
- Expulsion is very rarely used if the number of likely dissidents is large, because it may then be counter-productive.
- These provisions can easily be used to target political opponents and dissidents.
- Is he hurt when IRA and republican dissidents accuse him of being a traitor?
- This did not stop some Labour dissidents from declaring themselves satisfied.
- Is this where he meets Cuban dissidents and shares his ideas about guerrilla warfare?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.