In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Is he hurt when IRA and republican dissidents accuse him of being a traitor?
- This did not stop some Labour dissidents from declaring themselves satisfied.
- In reality a number of prominent anti-Nazi dissidents and artists did take their own lives while in exile.
- Ultimately the Republic becomes the Empire and dissidents are forced to launch an armed insurgency.
- These provisions can easily be used to target political opponents and dissidents.
- Political dissidents have long warned of the dangers if such a strategy is not implemented.
- The refugees are trapped between Guinean government forces and those of rebel Guinean dissidents.
- Each group's militias have arrested human rights activists, newspaper editors and other dissidents.
- What if the six women turned out to be persecuted human rights dissidents?
- He set up a legal practice in the same year, defending dissidents against the Salazar dictatorship.
- Is this where he meets Cuban dissidents and shares his ideas about guerrilla warfare?
- It knew of plans to carry out killings of exiled political dissidents and, at the very least, did nothing to stop them.
- The dissidents are by no means all pacifists, much less opponents of a resurgence of British imperialism.
- Rawa was responsible for showing the world the summary execution of dissidents in Afghanistan.
- Expulsion is very rarely used if the number of likely dissidents is large, because it may then be counter-productive.
- The regime routinely jails dissidents, has tortured them, and bans all opposition.
- Only in the metropolis can gays, Jews, women, dissidents, democrats and oddballs feel safe.
- Even Chinese democracy activists and dissidents take the borders of China as an indivisible given.
- Apparently the dispute in the dissidents ' camp is unresolved to this day.
- They located or procured party dissidents and sensationalised their grievances.
- Under these conditions, if art institutions are not prepared to present dissident views, what good are they?
- Walsh called for the museum to become a rallying point for dissident views.
- At the small assemblies, dissident workers were prevented from speaking against the plan.
- The Soviet dissident movement during the Cold War had an important effect on both the Soviet Union and the West.
- Pride of place in the discussion was given to dissident Labour MPs and senior trade union officials.
- Over the subsequent three decades, opposition parties and dissident voices were more in evidence.
- They are obliged to spend the night in the place, with one dissident member of the group who has also turned up.
- It championed democratic dissident movements behind the Iron Curtain as a challenge to Soviet power.
- The continuing sideshows in both dissident republican and loyalist camps compound their problems.
- The threat of dissolution is hardly a sanction to wield against dissident MPs.
- The teachers are part of a dissident movement against the official union bureaucracy.
- Trenchard was able to offer his small and relatively inexpensive force as a cost-effective way to keep dissident colonials in check.
- This is not an unreasonable strategy, particularly prior to the internet revolution when dissident outreach was limited in the extreme.
- There was no over-reliance on dissident forces for information.
- It is part of a tradition of dissident visionaries whose visions made them critical of everyday life, like William Blake.
- Insofar as dissident writers consider the profits made from drugs, we find an extremely one-sided response.
- Even dissident local government councillors are being silenced by these big money threats.
- It is also likely to be packed, probably with former dissident exiles.
- This book covers some 30 dissident papers in the US, and sketches the social needs that led to their publication.
- Democracy and human rights have been extended by women's groups, ethnic minorities, and dissident groups.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.