In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(space between two points)distancia femininewhat's the distance between … ? — ¿qué distancia hay entre … ?
- the posts are an equal distance apart — los postes son equidistantes / están todos a la misma distancia
- within easy driving/walking distance — a poca distancia en coche/a pie
- the fire could be seen from a distance of 12 miles — el incendio se veía a una distancia de 12 millas
- I can't walk long distances — no puedo caminar mucho
- it's no distance at all / hardly any distance from here — está muy cerca / a dos pasos de aquí
- the station is some / quite a / a fair distance away — la estación queda bastante lejos
- it's only a short distance to the hotel — el hotel queda muy cerca
- they went part of the distance together — fueron juntos parte del camino
- Kimura two-parameter genetic distance ranged between 0.0017 and 0.0123.
- The four I've won here have all been won by a distance and every one has been as sweet as the last.
- The residential electronics industry has traveled a considerable distance in a relatively short time.
- The seven-year-old took full advantage of evens favourite Jair du Cochet unseating his rider at the fourth from home to win by a distance.
- Motivator won by five lengths, the longest winning distance since Generous in 1991.
- As shown above, using a third taxon to estimate the initial pairwise distances improves their precision.
- After triumphing by a distance in 1965, Arkle was a warm favourite to follow up the following year.
- American customers travel long distances at speed on smooth, straight highways.
- We find that modes of transportation are often significant and positively related to median commute distance.
- Minimum safe distances are computed by adding the maximum pattern radius plus three circular error probable.
- There will not be any significant loss of distance, and your accuracy will improve.
- The Moon's distance from Earth varies by about 2700 miles over the course of a lunar cycle.
- I could always feel the distance separating us as tangible as a stone wall.
- Red Marauder, despite mistakes, won by a distance from Smarty (16-1).
- Printed out and laid end to end, they would cover a distance of 1.3 kilometres.
- Officers tracked the car onto the A4 keeping a distance of 300 metres.
- Carrying luggage, changing planes and walking long distances are hassles that most travelers must face.
- Intensity is also influenced by distance from the fault, ground conditions, and sometimes, directivity.
- The walk will take approximately two hours to complete covering a distance of four miles.
- Ridgeway elementary is the only school within safe walking distance and is in need of repair.
- The DNA alignment was analyzed with both parsimony and distance matrix methods.
- Katie, walking a short distance in front of the girl, turned round.
- After locking the door, they walked the short distance from their rented house to the college.
- On one tank of fuel it can cover a distance of a thousand kilometres.
- In general, the various distance estimation methods can be divided into two classes.
1.2(faraway point)in the (far) distance — a lo lejos
- I can't read it at this distance — no lo puedo leer a esta distancia
- at / from a distance he looked like a young man — de lejos parecía joven
- to admire sb from a distance — admirar a algn de lejos
1.3(in time)distancia femininefrom a distance of ten years the experience seemed less important — a diez años de distancia / después de diez años la experiencia no parecía tan importante
- In my memory there is a stillness, a quietness about her that I can still feel, that is almost visible, even in the distance of many years.
- For others, the distance of three years makes what happened feel both implausible and unforgivable.
- But I cannot look upon these plans at a distance of six months, without feeling that past events ought to teach me how little I can depend on the future.
1.4(between rivals, competitors)distancia femininethe distance between them has narrowed — se ha acortado la distancia entre ellos
- Dimbleby will be advantaged by the fact that he has never been in BBC programming management and that he has a blend of familiarity yet distance.
- I wanted her to either slap me or show me some warmth, the emotional distance was too much to bear.
3Sportdistancia feminineshe is champion at / over this distance — es la campeona de / en esta distancia
- So they continued until Nijinsky had gone two lengths clear inside the distance.
- This was our first race team test with the two new cars and we were able to complete simulated race distances with Jenson and Takuma.
- It will be an Olympic distance triathlon with a 1.5km swim, a 40 km cycle ride and a 10 km run.
- It seems than Bridgestone made a good tyre over a single-lap, their problem in the recent past, but it needs to be improved over the race distance.
- You can compete in any Indy race, over any distance and in any car.
- Most of the "Kentucky horses" made the distance and were able to continue on.
- In one-loft racing all birds race the same distance and there is a single finishing point.
- In 2002 I swam the sprint event and the next year moved up to the Olympic distance.
- Tomorrow's slightly shorter distance is her favour as she faces the starter with Jamie Spencer on board.
- Kiplagat spotted Kiptoo's potential a year and a half before her camp was officially opened and persuaded her to race longer distances.
- The teams have to walk a distance of 100 miles over the course of ten days.
- There was a penalty to all this, in that the race distances had to be reduced by one lap from the planned distance.
- Arthur has won all 16 of his professional fights so far, 14 inside the distance, and is already ranked 19 in the world.
- But golden girl Holmes is almost certain to do only one of her Olympic distances because of a slight injury.
- Chris Brogan was the only wheelchair athlete to complete the Olympic triathlon distance.
- You sweat an awful lot and can lose 2 to 2.5 kg over a race distance.
- The compounds we used in Australia would probably have lasted for three race distances, but some teams have pushed their tyres right to the limit today.
- Because it is the last time you will ever see the distance raced at an international championships indoors.
- Hersisia, 29, has won all of his 21 bouts so far with 16 stoppages inside the distance.
- Unlike the well-known Hawaii Ironman, the Olympic distance seems much more humane by comparison.
- The racing distance in the World Championships is governed by time, with the race lasting 40 minutes.
- Peralta takes Foreman the distance and loses a unanimous decision.
- In the same year, Larry had 12 fights, winning all bouts some inside the distance.
- Up until this point race distances varied and there were no restrictions on the design or construction of boats.
- Intense neuromuscular training at race distances can't be sustained for weeks at a time.
- Broken swims are often race distances divided into smaller increments with rest periods after each segment.
1(emotionally)distanciarseto distance oneself from sb/sth — distanciarse de algn/algo
2to distance oneself from sb/sth — (deny involvement) desvincularse de algn/algo
- he tried to distance himself from the whole business — intentó desvincularse del asunto
- Father was depressed and distanced himself further from me since then.
- Clearly, the Huntingdon Connection distanced itself early on from Marrant and his mission.
- Subjects further distanced themselves by attributing such experiences to ‘the old me.’
- However, instead of this helping me get closer with Ben and Kate, I just distanced myself further.
- You distanced yourself completely from what had happened.
- Though the film is undoubtedly a product of widespread Cold War paranoia, the film distances itself enough to objectify its horrors.
- But distancing ourselves seems to be the only way to lessen the struggle.
- With The Invisible Man, he was intent on distancing himself as much as possible from the darkness of his past.
- He turned his back towards me as if distancing himself emotionally from me.
- Sora huffed rudely, distancing himself away from his cousin as if she was a disease.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.