In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(region)zona feminineregión feminine
- Nevertheless Muhammad's own prestige and reputation as a preacher extended to neighbouring districts.
- Congressional districts are redrawn through a bill approved in the Legislature.
- He wants district and county councils to take over a lot of Defra budgets.
- Their members will never be bogged down in committee meetings in some district council.
- Half-hearted efforts at compliance among urban school districts have kept the exodus to just a trickle.
- The district auditor has made the point that he is independent of the council.
- We are the size of Melbourne, yet we have 21 district health boards.
- Citing national statistics, the governor said three districts in the province are a major concern.
- The meeting took place because district councillors wanted to discuss concerns with highway representatives.
- Negotiations between Wiltshire County Council and the districts are continuing.
- From 1946 to 1947 he was deputy assistant district attorney in New York City.
- Organizers demanded 64 new seats in parliament for women, one to represent each district of the country.
- In Galway, we identified rural and family owned pubs by selecting electoral districts with populations of less than 1500.
- The rate structures set by irrigation districts fail to provide the stick for water conservation.
- The report can also be viewed at County Hall and at district and borough council offices.
- Voters go to the polls on May 1 when a third of the district's councillors are up for re-election.
- Let us look at that district health board sector, of which a large part is hospital-based.
- Today's urban school districts have more than enough money in their budgets to do their jobs well.
- Roy Smith, Tendring district and Essex county councillor, has taken up the residents' complaints.
- According to the inscription, he had created ‘One of the most productive and best cultivated districts in the County of York’.
- The majority of residents also felt a stronger sense of belonging to the county than to their district.
- The campaigning couple are also angry that no town, district or county councillors have come to visit the site.
- It is a similar scheme to the one in place for district and county councillors.
- We elect a district council to look after the local population's interests.
- The project authorities with the support of the district administration have removed the debris.
- Each of the district's councillors has about 12,000 constituents to whom we are answerable.
- Firstly, all these villages have a Conservative district councillor and county councillor.
- Application forms for travel concessions are available from district council offices or by telephone from 770380.
- A more detailed report on the waterside scheme will be considered by both the district and county councils in the summer.
- Some 12 per cent of district nurses are aged over 55 and eligible to retire.
- District council chiefs have outlined their commitment to affordable housing in Salisbury with an action plan.
- There are 16 places up for grabs on the youth forum, two for each of the county's districts and boroughs.
- We believe that other district health boards will have a similar set of figures.
- Eliminating the stalking from my life required an attorney and an assistant district attorney.
- The district and county councils say it is not their responsibility.
- People will also be asked whether they want one or more all-purpose councils to replace the county and districts.
- Rural school districts have relied more on federal and state aid over the past 3 years than their urban counterparts.
- All district chiefs and sub-district administration managers attended the meeting at Pattaya City Hall.
- Arrangements have to be made for the movement of home helps and district nurses.
- But a few days later, another district court judge issued a contradictory ruling.
1.2(locality)barrio masculinered-light district — zona de tolerancia feminine Latin America
- the Federal District — el distrito federal
- There's a new store looking for space in the gold-plated Rodeo Drive shopping district.
- Extraordinarily fine acanthite specimens have been found in several of Mexico's major silver mining districts.
- But since we were up on a mountain we could not visit the red light district of town.
- I typically wandered around working class districts of big ugly cities in poorer nations during their seasons of inclement weather.
- Our next stop was the Browns Race and High Falls Area: one of the city's newest entertainment districts.
- Close your eyes and it almost sounds like the meatpacking district.
- Cities with gleaming business districts and luxury developments for the rich are surrounded by shanty towns and slums.
- They like to shop for all but daily necessities at prestigious department stores in downtown shopping districts.
- Several American cities have closed popular shopping districts to traffic and opened the entire street to pedestrians.
- There is a new landmark in Ginza, one of the leading shopping and business districts of Tokyo.
- We showed up a bit before then and walked around the meatpacking district.
- In Edinburgh, the city's traditional red-light district was regenerated and the scheme moved elsewhere.
- About 150 demonstrators protested in the city's downtown waterfront district.
- Smithsonite is relatively common in Arizona mining districts, but good specimens appear to be rare.
- The Neihu district is developing into a shopping district for suburban Taipei, Wei said.
- It is close to the Phoenix Park and the Four Courts and is also within walking distance of the main shopping and business districts.
- She took a shine to Chicago's sprawling skyline and downtown shopping district.
- The survey covers 86 business districts in 40 countries worldwide.
- We then walked down to Fourteenth Street, the center of the city's red light district.
- The retail boom is also transforming the oldest shopping districts in the city.
(of state, city)distrito masculinecongressional district — distrito electoral masculine
1dividir en distritos
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.