In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(sofa)diván masculinecanapé masculine
- She stood firm under their weight, gently ushering them back into the room and onto one of the divans.
- Lounging on the divan, his arms placed unguardedly before him, he had none of the tense, high-strung, honour-obsessed posture of his people.
- She should be here soon, ‘Jamie answered offering Jude a seat on the divan.’
- She pulled the low writing desk to the divan, and reached into the jar.
- The cream leather seats, with chocolate faux ponyskin box stools, sit perfectly with the chocolate Nubuck two-seater divans.
- She was lounging on a divan, and looked rather uncomfortable - like she was hurt.
- Meanwhile, back in the ‘real’ world, feast your eyes on these canine accessories, including this insane dog divan.
- You sit on divans at low tables, as waiters in fezzes and djellebas produce dishes like magicians from velvet tagine-shaped platters.
- I spotted Jonas and his friends lounging on ornate, divan couches in the ‘mirror’ room.
- He looked in the direction next to the couch or divan that he was lying on, and saw a woman, sitting there next to him.
- One woman stretched out on the divan lounge, thoughtfully perusing a scroll.
- Its living room had cushions and divans, and the kind owner offered us a room for the night.
- They piled out into a bigger room with several worn couches and divans.
- Resting on the divan in the hall, noises of loud whispers and bursts of laughter reach my ears - coming from Sophia's room.
- Opening a side door, he saw a small, ornately - furnished parlor with two divans facing each other.
- As an example of minimalism to the extreme, Hanson used only a cluttered desk and a divan to suggest Higgins' study.
- A deep, luxurious carpet covered the floor, and several divans were situated around the room.
- Faced with multiple sweets and puddings, I simply reclined and used the best of the divan.
- The room was simply furnished with a large divan facing the TV set, two comfortable looking armchairs, all surrounding a wooden table.
- When we sit for dinner it is on divans against walls covered with rich Moroccan fabrics.
- For example, instead of putting a lavish bed into the bedroom we bought a standard divan bed and had a headboard made.
- Looking again she realised there wasn't a mattress on the bed, just a thin bedspread covering a divan, with drawers underneath.
- We went up to the room with an armful of blankets and set about making the divan and the bed next to it.
- One of the men was found hiding in the divan unit of a bed.
- Sophia's on the guest divan, reading a magazine and being of absolutely no help to her mother.
- He rolled out of bed and sat at the edge of the divan, looking into the mirror beside his cot.
- The firm had been operating in Sutton for 22 years producing headboards and drawer divans for Silentnight.
- He found Mullen hiding inside the divan bed and he detained him until the police returned.
- Beds with slatted wooden or metal bases provide better circulation of air around the mattress than divan beds.
- Long story short, I'm up to my elbow under his divan bed, when I feel a packet of tissues.
- Some time later found the pair in Ie's chambers, sitting on a simple divan colored a subtle mauve, discussing times gone by.
- Beds, which include divans, mattresses and bedsteads, were valued at £974m, with bedsteads the major growth sector in recent years.
- U-Rest Foam is now on record as one of Zambia's major manufacturer of divan beds, foam sheets, cushions and pillows.
- In drawers under the divan bed were four large bags of herbal cannabis and five smaller bags.
2cama turca feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.