In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1bombardear en picadabombardear en picado Spain
- They are also tricky to use - requiring fighters and gunboats to engage in something resembling an old dive-bombing run from WW2.
- She adjusted her helmet and was about to dive-bomb the store when she couldn't spot either Deathtone or the judge.
- On his final day, he tested a P-A7 converted for use on D day as a low-altitude fighter with dive-bombing capability.
- The experienced pilots carried out a text-book dive-bombing attack on the big Japanese ships.
- I dive-bombed into the murky entrance while slowing down smoothly.
- But in Korea the Sabres were there to protect the fighters at low-level, while they were dive-bombing, Mahurin said.
- Dragoon enclosed on the base and went high in the air then dive-bombed the area with that special fireball technique.
- In another incident his ship was sunk after being dive-bombed, again with the loss of up to forty men.
- Then at 0915 the dive-bombing was renewed before the raiders withdrew at 0945.
- If World War II inspired George Lucas, it was with dive-bombing fighter planes and aerial dogfights.
- The Germans and the US Navy had found a partial solution to the problem even before the war - dive-bombing.
- Army co-operation and close air support were in their infancy in the USA and dive-bombing seemed to be the answer.
- The Invaders had to do a kind of modified dive-bombing, he said.
- The Blackburn Skua was the first British aircraft specifically designed for dive-bombing, but it could also serve as a fighter.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.