In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1autovía femininecarretera de doble calzada femininecarretera de doble carril feminine
- Tonight, I came upon one intersection where a two-lane street crosses a four-lane divided highway with left-turn lanes on both sides.
- It used to be a divided highway and the old southbound lanes were taken out of service.
- A divided highway ran along the cliffs bordering the beach.
- My family and I were approaching a controlled intersection on a four-lane divided highway in a small city in Wisconsin when it happened.
- Traffic thins on the divided highway as I approach the oncoming edge of the hurricane.
- No sooner did I complete that thought when I spotted two sets of police lights urgently threading their way through traffic on the other side of the divided highway.
- This is well in excess of the capacity of the four-lane divided highway that exists.
- The proposed road is being designed as a six-lane divided highway, with limited access every 1.5 km.
- Ahead, the divided highway sped eastward in two directions, flanked by a ghostly procession of villas.
- Snowmass Canyon's section of SH82 will have 3.7 mi. of new, four-lane, divided highway to replace the existing two-lane road.
- The project consisted of adding a 12-ft. lane and a 14-ft. shoulder to the inside of each side of the four-lane divided highway.
- All the sections selected were six-lane divided highways.
- All sections were on divided highways with one-way width ranging from 3.75 m to 14.0 m.
- Upgrading an urban divided highway and its interchanges built nearly 40 years ago when traffic speeds and volumes were much lower is a challenge.
- Generally a freeway is a grade separated divided highway designed for high speeds.
- The Walker is located on the east edge of its site along Hennepin Avenue, a busy eight-lane divided highway.
- On April 10, two riders were on a divided highway with a posted speed limit of 50 kilometers per hour - that is about 31 mph.
- It's as though every driver had a private, divided highway to each destination.
- She was charged with going 138 kilometres an hour on the divided highway leading to Halifax.
- The route on which the task force moved was a major, six-lane, divided highway.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.