In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(from height)saltos de trampolín masculineclavados masculine Latin America
- Reese predicts that the bulk of the team's points will come from middle distance freestyle, butterfly, backstroke and diving.
- Often it's because every Premiership squad seems to be practising synchronized diving once a week.
- It was only in 2000 that they started synchronized diving.
- The synchronized diving involves all the members of the team.
- Critical input is high, too, at the synchronised diving.
- I told them that swimming and diving were dangerous, like juggling with engines or putting your head in a vice.
- Springboard diving is confined to 1 and 3 metres only.
- I was enjoying the synchronised diving before I came out.
- That makes as much sense as treating swimming and diving as one.
- Having finished second in the qualifying event in this pool six months ago, the British divers had the added advantage of diving last.
- Apart from regular water sports cliff diving is an added exclusive special attraction of the place.
- Synchronized swimming, water polo, and diving are also included in the Olympic programme.
- They met at Salisbury swimming pool as teenagers and their mutual love of diving helped form a swimming partnership that lasted for many years.
- Synchronised diving was deemed a success at the Sydney Olympics
- She was recruited to dive at Colorado State University, even though she didn't even know diving was a college sport at the time!
- But Justin made the team with the help of his brother in synchronized diving.
- Acrobatic, exhilarating and captivating, yet full of grace and beauty, diving is the next big thing in sport, writes Anna Millar
- The judging favored the American style of diving, a style placing as much importance on entry or finish of a dive as what was accomplished acrobatically in the air.
- He took up swimming and diving, and joined a marching band, but the lure of the stage beckoned.
2(under water)submarinismo masculinebuceo masculine
- The Maldives are a relatively accessible destination, offering year-round diving.
- However, the increase in the popularity of deep technical diving has not come without some major concerns being raised.
- He said he would like to see more prominent signs warning people of the dangers of diving in the area.
- Recreational scuba diving has become very popular in the past 20 years.
- Recreational diving enables us to experience those underwater wonders firsthand.
- I have enjoyed the diving and the company wherever I have been in Ireland.
- My package trip offered unlimited diving on day boats from the 26-bungalow resort.
- Horseback riding, tennis, boating, and scuba diving are also available.
- I would just love to spend a few months here exploring the diving among the hundreds of islands.
- New dive sites are being discovered, and technical diving is now available.
- Scuba diving is inherently a very safe sport.
- Divers have attempted deep-sea diving to recover the panels, but none have yet been found.
- I have not even mentioned the social aspects of recreational diving.
- Players do not have the option of diving down and exploring.
- As on every trip, we enjoyed some excellent diving and some equally good company.
- The diving in the area is really only suitable for experienced divers.
- You only have to see Great Skellig from a distance to realise that it must offer fantastic diving.
- "We were very friendly with the boat captain and all the diving instructors, " says Olga.
- Reef diving is the main sporting attraction, with the waters being home to over 100 species of coral and 900 species of fish.
- If I wasn't playing rugby I was rock-climbing or deep-sea diving or fighting.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.