In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Influenced by Gauss, Smith's most important contributions are in number theory where he worked on elementary divisors.
- A pair of amicable numbers is a pair like 220 and 284 such that the proper divisors of one number sum to the other and vice versa.
- Its proper divisors are 1, 2, 4, 7, and 14, and the sum of those divisors is 28.
- After graduating in 1939 he began to work for his doctorate on the problem of divisors of almost periodic polynomials.
- If our divisor remained unchanged, the calculation for the average would give us 95.00.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.