In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He wore glasses, had a dark raincoat and was carrying a black document case.
- He was carrying a black document case and had a dark raincoat with him.
- Organize them in a cheap document case (which also fits a passport).
- She picked it up before it started on its journey, placed it firmly in the pad and the pad in a document case.
- He was as smart and cocky as ever and carried a little leather case, a document case which, combined with the unexpected specs, made him look kind of studious and academic.
- It had see-through pockets to show off the owner's Chanel lipstick, a detachable document case and an eye-catching purple or red suede interior.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.