In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At one point he said, ‘Praise be to God, with dogged perseverance we should be able to solve our economic problems.’
- He performs Sly with his usual care and dogged efficiency, but he never gets under the skin of the part, and the results are very bland.
- He has a dogged determination to improve his life.
- Reilly's story, one of loyalty, brotherhood, and dogged determination, captures and holds the reader's attention.
- Those who knew George knew of his dogged determination to see things through to the end.
- From August on, the German companies will have to fight for customers against a dogged rival that has already proven it can beat them in the U.S. market.
- She was dogged in her condemnation of those who went too far too soon.
- He has dogged determination to win his pro card in 2002.
- For months it has been a media-driven story, fueled by dogged journalists committed to facts rather than opinions.
- From 1981 to 1997, no one played with as much tenacity and dogged determination as Mullen.
- The persistence, the dogged attention, the caring were what counted.
- They negotiated their gold ransom for the kidnapped girl with all the dogged, gormless determination of a ticket collector extracting an excess fare.
- They simply want to get things done, and it's that steady, dogged persistence that winds up being viewed as stubbornness.
- There's no drive or energy here, just a sense of dogged persistence.
- This dogged persistence and determination to see it through has taken its toll, both on his finances and his emotional well being.
- He's also dogged in his determination to see his own artistic vision fulfilled.
- Yet his dogged determination carried him through thousands of experiments, seventeen books, and a hundred scientific papers.
- For a man whose playing career was characterised by dogged resilience and bloody-minded determination, the manager cuts a very different figure.
- Howard, love him or detest him, has earned respect as a leader with incredible staying power, and dogged consistency over the years.
- Its sheer joy and wonder reside neither in tension nor resolve, neither verse nor chorus, but simply in dogged perseverance.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.