In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(toy)(resembling female) muñeca feminine(resembling male) muñeco masculinedolls' clothes — ropa de muñeca feminine
- dolls' hospital — hospital de muñecas
- Their hair is cut so the boys look like porcupines and the girls like china dolls.
- But here we are talking about things like boys playing with dolls and girls playing with trucks.
- Girls dressed the dolls and put them in prams, beds or cradles which were often handed down from one generation to the next.
- Matchbox cars, dolls, and action figures all offer the opportunity for your child to learn visual discrimination.
- There are so many dolls and soft toys in need of names.
- And do the pictures still show girls playing with dolls, boys with cars?
- Our models are dolls, teddy bears and vintage mannequins poised for draping by fashion designers who play and train here.
- My daughter would also have liked the children's room, full of dolls dressed in hand-embroidered baby gowns and Victorian toys.
- Research shows if a woman is given a baby or a doll to hold she is twice as likely to hold it on her left, rather than her right hand side.
- Toy makers now have to compete with an explosion of video games, interactive dolls, action figures and gadgets that appear to come alive when hooked up to a television set.
- The main categories of toys exported are soft toys, dolls, plastic toys, educational toys, electronic and mechanical toys and games and puzzles.
- Toys, including dolls and teddy bears, were stored in boxes and there were several trophies, some crayons and a child's cough medicine on the mantelpiece nearby.
- But he's no mere gatherer of porcelain dolls, ship-in-bottle models or hockey cards.
- As well, both the dolls and the human models are masked.
- A baby in not a doll, neither should it be treated as one.
- For example, people dance, play musical instruments, act in plays, and play with dolls and model trains.
- There are toys for the girls: soft dolls and wicker houses.
- The kit consists of dolls, glove puppets and models, including a garage, designed to encourage interaction.
- In the second session, children were exposed to art works such as art from waste, clay modelling, making Papier-mache dolls and pot painting.
- Baby dolls are the must-have for many little girls this Christmas.
2.1(pretty little girl) muñeca feminine(attractive woman) muñeca feminine US
2.2US informal (pleasant person)encanto masculine informalyou're a real doll — eres un verdadero encanto
- Oh, and be a doll, and leave me a review.
- For seventeen years she had been nothing but a doll, following her father's orders.
- Karen was, and is, a doll and her friends were great.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.