In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cúpula femininethe blue dome of the sky — la bóveda celeste literary
- the shiny dome of his bald head — su calva reluciente
- I gazed down upon the old quarter, a collage of dun roofs, domes and vaults, pencil and square minarets, ugliness and elegance.
- The dome and roof were sheathed in copper, and the building was fitted with new mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and elevator systems.
- In resolving the differences between the orthogonal basic plan and the circular forms of the domes, perimeter walls become serrated in plan.
- There is nothing new about the dome shape or any question about its structural merits.
- The system uses the timeless forms of arches, domes, and vaults to create single and double-curvature shell structures that are both strong and beautiful.
- Visitors during the summer of 2002 may expect to see a new black-and-white marble floor in the rotunda beneath the dome.
- Like many of the plans and models contributed in 2001, this plan featured domes and pyramidal structures, circular spaces, and a lot of glass.
- In the centrally focused pantheon of the original bank building, the round dome was supported by interior Ionic columns.
- The final dome or vault consisted of a composite structure of in-situ concrete and ferro-cement formwork.
- This can be repeated to transform the octagon into a sixteen-sided figure on which the base of the dome may rest.
- Here's the situation: You decide to build a church by mounting a circular dome on four rounded arches that meet at right angles.
- Such has been the pressure for space that original vaults and domes have been destroyed so that properties could expand vertically, often using incompatible materials.
- The domes are perhaps the building's most significant feature.
- Construction of the dome included installing hollow structural members that double as radiator pipes.
- Quadrilateral foundations, however, could support only a roof consisting of one or several panels, but not a dome with its rounded base.
- She instantly recognized the shape of the building's interior, the circular architecture and the dome that reached upwards to the heavens.
- In concept, the structure of the dome is innovative yet apparently simple.
- The two domes were independent of each other, making it is possible for visitors to travel between the two domes on a walkway, after climbing a flight of stairs.
- What is more, above the baldachino is Michelangelo's dome, which is based on the dome of the Pantheon.
- Its futuristic design features wind turbines instead of the traditional minarets, while a translucent latticed roof would replace the domes seen on most mosques.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.