In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1economía doméstica femininehogar masculine Spain
- The girls also studied domestic science - which included cooking, knitting and sewing - while the boys did woodwork.
- We did cooking as part of our domestic science class and I got into trouble for burning something.
- Her own domestic science lessons had been conducted by a very strict teacher.
- I teach domestic science and we're in the school every morning at 8am preparing for classes to come in.
- The aroma of freshly baked scones wafting along a corridor from the domestic science suite is accompanied by enthusiasm from one of the staff.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.