In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(supremacy)dominio masculinedominación feminine
- It's a game that they play in order to achieve a sense of power, dominance, control.
- This father's rhetoric is very forceful and incorporates a language of dominance and power.
- The immense monoliths centered at the focal point of the photographs signify power and dominance.
- Sea power's dominance, however, has been a point of contention among military historians.
- It also weakens the market power of firms whose dominance comes from legal protection rather than commercial success.
- The following factors have been deemed to be indicative of dominance and market power.
- Collective bargaining has become one of the victims of mounting corporate dominance.
- There is no place for dominance, greed, and the power to control in addressing these new global challenges.
- And the path to power is not dominance over others but the ability to speak up for oneself.
- The lower cost of resistive technology and its input flexibility has led to its dominance in the marketplace.
- Part of the problem is that when we think of power, most of us think of dominance - command and control.
- Pricing below average or marginal cost might occur as part of a predatory strategy to achieve or maintain market dominance.
- The book also focusses on the numerous battles that were waged for power and dominance between various colonial forces.
- There is combat, to be sure, but no clash of armies as a result of peoples vying for dominance and power.
- Their midfield dominance started to show on the scoreboards.
- For higher education as for business, the lesson seemed to be that mentoring had helped maintain male dominance.
- The essence of dominance is the power to behave independently of competitive pressures.
- Never before have we had the air domination and the information dominance that we had.
- Maybe this is the year they regain total dominance.
- Both schools had their periods of dominance and while in control they both made productive use of the possession.
1.2(predominance)predominio masculinepreponderancia feminine
- Normal maize plants show strong apical dominance with one main axis of growth.
- Species richness is low at high biomass because of dominance by a few strong competitors that create closed canopies.
- Not all canopy species actually rise to dominance along any given transect.
- In this study, and in animal behavior generally, dominance is defined as success in contests.
- The matter is often thought to be an issue of rivalry or dominance between different species within the same family.
2Biology Ecologydominación feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.