In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1ganso masculine informalgansa feminine informalbaboso masculine Latin America informalbabosa feminine Latin America informal
- He got to help the White House wiggle out of unpleasant moments by asking questions worthy of a doofus.
- They'd get home eventually and they wouldn't have spent eighteen pounds on a black cab like some of the dufuses out on the street tonight.
- But you don't want to end up seeming like a pitiful doofus like him.
- Why are millionaires choosing to go on a show where the prize is a low six-figure salary to work for a doofus like him?
- Soon we'll have crimes of laughter where dufuses force their way into homes and attempt stand up routines at gunpoint.
- Because even though he's a doofus, he is a gentleman.
- If you happen to be short-waisted as well, you look like a doofus with your blouse tucked in.
- I recorded the drums last, in the manner befitting a dufus, so I had to play them live to everything else, including the guitar break.
- So I'm not saying that you're wrong, exactly, that we shouldn't portray men as doofuses as often as we do; I just think that the cure is probably worse than the disease.
- I was gratified, not because the teal was gone but because I would have felt like a dufus if I'd missed something so exciting.
- What our dueling doofuses don't realize is that this is all a set-up.
- Didn't the doofus know that I was a double agent?
- There will always be a certain number of doofuses who reply anyway, and I guess you just delete those messages and move on.
- It's a lot of fun watching the FBI dufuses giving chase.
- Mostly, they remind me how glad I am that I don't have to wear suits and work in office towers pushing paper about, fielding emails, enduring meetings and being bossed about by older, fatter doofuses.
- It looks cool on Elvis and Michael Jackson, but most guys just look like dufuses if their pants are too short.
- I don't want my guy to give me puppy eyes or beg like a little doofus when he wants something.
- So I said hello and on the way to the car I vowed to never speak again except via my laptop, because I am obviously nothing but a bumbling doofus who should remain locked inside away from normal people.
- The ever-expanding world of wine and spirits now demands a certain degree of consumer savvy if one is to avoid looking like a doofus at cocktail parties, in restaurants or in liquor stores.
- All of the supposed intrigue and suspense leads up to a climactic scene which is about as exciting as watching two middle-aged doofuses having a shovel fight in a garage.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.