In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Stern-looking doormen can now be seen guarding the entrance to certain exclusive establishments, just to keep the riff-raff out.
- The waitress was too upset to listen and called over three doormen to assess the situation.
- Within seconds of the attack he was attended to by a club doorman, who was trained in first aid.
- Here she was safe, for the building had a doorman, and the doors had secure locks.
- There was a scuffle which the doormen could not resolve, so they ushered the supporters out.
- The building had a doorman and for a moment I worried that he and I would not be allowed into the building.
- He was on duty with three other doormen when the tragedy happened.
- When he got to the entrance a doormen pointed him towards the Observatory where he could see a group in the distance.
- We arrived at the apartment block and we wrangled our way past the doorman on duty.
- The doormen barricaded the club's entrance as the soldiers allegedly tried to get to him.
- After considering other factors, he laid the blame on the doormen in their apartment buildings.
- The doormen of my building have adopted me as I can speak Spanish.
- On leaving the priesthood, he worked in a number of jobs including a doorman, a handyman and a janitor.
- They entered a hall, beautifully decorated with painted cloth, and followed the doorman up two flights of stairs.
- The doormen, bar staff, chefs, waitresses and management all participated in the training.
- You too will have to be walked out in a shuffle, the doormen now more like sanitarium orderlies than bouncers.
- Local authorities currently vet their own doormen, meaning bouncers have different licences depending on where they work in the country.
- It's definitely going to be a major issue for doormen in Ireland.
- One common technique is the employment of official border guards, doormen or bouncers.
- The doormen and waitresses are splendid in their gold-braided outfits.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.