In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The bright master bedroom has a dormer window to the front and a second window to the side.
- The applicant sought to retain the clear glazed windows and openers, which had been installed at first floor level, and a dormer window.
- The poor design and ill proportions of the dormer and bay windows and the visual relationship between them results in a most unsatisfactory appearance.
- A real bonus of this property is the converted attic, an almost 14 square metre room with a large dormer window.
- Our home has a wood floor, cob entryway, three dormers for windows and a door.
- A more ambitious neighbor raised the roof, added dormers, expanded the garage to include space for three cars, and installed a fence to contain their new puppy.
- With the passing of the Act, politicians promised that homeowners would no longer need to seek permission from the ‘superior’ to install a dormer window in their attic or to build a conservatory.
- The larger has a dormer window overlooking the rear garden, and the other is used for storage.
- The couple also carved out a cozy office from an upstairs closet by again taking advantage of eave space and adding an extra dormer with a window seat.
- The master bedroom shares the dormer with the home office; an interior window and door allow each space to borrow light from the other.
- After repairing and replacing key house elements like windows and siding, they inserted a dormer, a porch, and a large, elegant steel-and-glass bifold door.
- A single dormer window let in light, and on the wall her clothes hung from hooks.
- The double has a built-in sink unit and storage presses as well as a built-in wardrobe, while the single is of medium size with a large dormer window.
- The en suite shower room has a tiled stand-in shower, a hand basin and a dormer window.
- Wooden stairs lead to a bright open landing with timber floors and a wooden ceiling featuring a large dormer window.
- Daylight enters through large dormers, supplemented by electric light from architect-designed pendant fixtures.
- I lay on top of the trunk and watched the dust drift from the dark of the cedar panelling into the hazy light glowing through the dormer window.
- All she needs is the rocking chair in that dormer window where she sits all day long, crocheting and watching the neighbors.
- A dormer window affords sea views while there is also an en suite shower room.
- Despite this it was mostly very original and intact when I got it, with a bedroom with a small dormer window in the attic space.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.