1.1(twice as much)(portion/amount) doblea double brandy/vodka — un coñac/vodka doble
- she's double your age — te dobla la edad
- it's double that — es el doble de eso
- we get double pay on Sundays — los domingos nos pagan el doble / nos dan paga doble
- a double dip — dos bolas / un doble de helado
- Prepare a pot of tea as described above, using double quantities of tea.
- She ordered a double vodka, straight, with a glass of water.
- White flowers often give double value by having a beautiful scent.
- He was struck down by kidney stones that put paid to an earlier attempt at the double marathon.
- At least a portion of the side walls of the body may include a double panel thickness to add strength to the container assembly.
- From the first notes of the first track of this superb double album we know we're in safe hands.
- Mr Melia had three pints of lager, a bottle of alcopops and a double brandy and coke on a night out with friends before getting behind the wheel.
- All the children have double PE lessons so it is not as if we have banned all sports at the school.
- I once got thrown out of a pub in Padstow because he bought me a double brandy.
- I have one of those huge, double size coffee mugs, a gift from a woman I was seeing about five years ago.
- Ward had a rail down at the double combination to finish with 39.74 seconds on the clock for fifth place.
- At the airport you can see people drinking double whiskies or brandies to give them confidence
- My husband had a double whisky.
- The bunker is the size of a double garage with 3 fences around it, a microwave intruder alarm detection system and 32 armed policemen.
- Mr Thorold also told the court that he and Hildreth regularly went out in the city and described how they often drank up to 12 double vodka and Cokes on a night out.
- They were served in generous quantity, almost double normal size.
- So a double tall latte now costs $3.45, the same as an ordinary tall latte.
- Instead, when you do cook, make double quantities of meals that you can freeze so that you can draw on those when you're feeling too tired to cook.
- Opened flat, the double page size is 7 x 5.5 inches, quite large enough for an effective sketch should I want to get serious.
- You can't resize the player window, which will annoy most people accustomed to viewing small videos at double size.
1.2(in pair)(consonant) doblemy number is double three seven double four eight — mi número es tres tres siete, cuatro cuatro ocho
- it's spelled with a double 't' — se escribe con dos tes
- a double negative — una doble negación
- double bend — curva en S
- a double six — un seis doble / un doble seis
- inflation reached double figures / digits — la inflación alcanzó/rebasó el 10%
- During 1980 I accompanied Peter Doyle in the radio studios of 2 double J. while he was on air.
- I mean, who has three sets of double letters in their name?
- People think there can't possibly be two lots of double letters in one word so they often drop one set.
- For book titles, phrases et cetera, put the words in double inverted commas, as with other Google searches.
- Collins dictionary allows berretta with a double r as an alternative (the Italian spelling).
- Moreover, the double letter ‘a’ is atypical in the German language.
1.3(for two)(room) doble(bed) de matrimonio(bed) de dos plazas Latin America
- I've got a caravan to myself with quite a bit of room - sofa, double bed, etc - a few yards from the main farm house.
- £235,000 buys you a 99-year lease on a small serviced room with a double bed, en-suite shower and all mod cons.
- The other generously sized double bedroom is also connected to the en suite bathroom and overlooks the rear garden.
- The gaily painted rooms continue the Caribbean theme and include a double bed and two bunks with en-suite bathroom.
- Payments will go up from 301 a week to 316 for single rooms and from 293 to 301 for double rooms from April.
- A baby and toddler may require a double buggy (carefully designed to be three millimetres wider than the doorway of your favourite shop).
- Kane now sleeps on the living room sofa as Ikolo and her baby share the double bed in her room.
- He threw my bag onto the double bed in the center of the room.
- But parents with pushchairs also share these problems and for anyone with a double buggy the difficulties can be even greater.
- An open plan landing runs the length of the first floor, at either end of which are two identical double bedrooms.
- Three of the double bedrooms are a similar size, with two overlooking the rear garden currently used as a gym and a home office.
- Tariffs range from $80 to $195 for a double room, depending on the season.
- The small single bedroom is used as a study while the double bedrooms are a good size and have fitted floor-to-ceiling wardrobes.
- I was led up the main stairs to a large room, whose only furnishings were a double bed and a small nightstand.
- As she looked a woman jogged by with her twin children in a double stroller and a poodle tied to the handle bar panting behind.
- Located on either side of the living/kitchen area were two large rooms both with a double bed and a hot tub.
- I found double rooms in the heart of Rome and London for about $100 per night.
- Then a third got on with a double pushchair, completely blocking the aisle.
- These are proper sized rooms, enough space for a double bed and a couch and a desk.
- It was so upmarket that we could only afford a room between us, with one double bed.
1.4(folded)dobleto fold sth double — doblar algo por la mitad
- he was bent double with the pain — se retorcía del dolor
- Hanna married Skeffington and the couple adopted the double surname of Sheehy-Skeffington.
- Reinforcing this effect are a series of terraces leading invitingly from formal and casual living areas through sets of double doors to the home paddock and bush beyond.
- Longford manager Alan Matthews made a double substitution at the half time break introducing Vinny Perth and Eric Lavine.
- It was a double celebration as his grandparents Jane and Paddy Deere were celebrating their 54th wedding anniversary.
- Because of the large double doors it lends itself to easy access for deliveries with ample parking to the front and side of the building.
- There was a mesh grille behind the double doors, and I wondered if anyone else was there.
- It is hidden away in a back street behind 2 huge double doors, which means you have no idea what to expect when walking in.
- The whole county was shocked at the double tragedy which claimed the lives of two young men on Sunday evening, June 27.
- By far the most blatantly contrived element of the play is the happy and neatly accounted for ending, with a stereotypical Hollywood double wedding scene.
- Fontaine, right, retired aged just 28 after twice suffering a double leg fracture.
- Inside, every seat was taken, the double doors guarded by court security staff.
- The double doors are open, and conversation drifts through from the next room.
- The master bedrooms have double doors leading to a balcony area.
- The dining area is lit by two large Velux windows, a further two windows to the side and a set of glazed double doors opening out onto a patio.
- There are double doors leading to the kitchen which has an oak kitchen, extractor fan, electric oven and electric ceramic hob.
- The singer recently had a double hip replacement but said he was ‘in better shape now than he has been for some time’.
- A PUB in Whitley is celebrating a double success after being judged top in its field by two leading food guides.
- So I knew something was up when he grabbed both of our trays of food and took them through the double doors to the tables outside.
- Billy fears he will die within weeks unless he is immediately approved for a double lung transplant.
- He pushed through the double doors at the end of the hall, descended the stairs, and wandered almost blindly through the lobby and out into the street.
2.1(dual)doblea double purpose — un doble propósito
2.2(false)to lead a double life — llevar una doble vida
- to play a double game — hacer un doble juego
1(twice as much)(pay/cost/earn) el dobleshe spends double what she earns — gasta el doble de lo que gana
- I pay double the rent I did last year — pago el doble de alquiler que el año pasado
- double 7 is 14 — el doble de 7 es 14
- Away goals do not count double in Fifa's rulebook.
- As soon as it is cooked through, fold it double, turn it out on a hot dish, and serve at once.
- All sorts of innovations had been touted in earlier plans for the ' 20 / 20 ' competition, including a Golden Over where each run would count double.
- It's three against three and my vote counts double.
- This applies double if the profanity occurs during a quarterly conference call.
- This goes double for similar criticism of policies, if the criticism is routed through proper channels.
- In fact we are double daft because we've just held two little soirées - one for family and one for colleagues and friends.
1.1(hotel room)doble feminine
- B&B in standard doubles is from £127; superior doubles and suites go from £165 to £250.
- The offer entitles readers to a complimentary upgrade of room, from a standard double to a Hallmark / Delux room.
- A superior double or twin costs from £140, again for two.
- Rooms cost from £70 for a standard double / twin per night midweek in high season.
- Upstairs there are two doubles and one twin bedroom to the front of the house, all decorated in tasteful but unusual colours.
- Both are doubles which have been finished to the highest standard.
- Both are large doubles with built-in wardrobes and mirrored vanity units.
- Both of the bedrooms in this unit are doubles and have en suite shower rooms, one of which is accessed via a spiral staircase from the living room.
- Both of the property's two bedrooms are doubles with built-in wardrobes, laminate floors and fitted vanity units.
- To the front are two good sized doubles, each fitted with a wardrobe and shelving unit.
- Otherwise, ask for a standard double with a sea view: the moody purples and glowing oranges at dusk and dawn are quite spectacular.
- For a good quality pocket-sprung mattress, expect to pay from £875 for a standard double at Vi-Spring.
- All of the other bedrooms are doubles and one contains fitted wardrobes and a shelving unit.
- The master bedroom has a huge double bath, while there is a twin room in the cellar and a double on the ground floor.
- It's just that the upmarket rooms in the 3-star hotel cost the same as the standard doubles in the superior ones.
- The bedroom accommodation will comprise two doubles and a large single in the three-bedroom houses and two doubles in all other units.
- As well as standard doubles, the hotel has well-equipped suites overlooking the golf course, each with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen and a living room.
- I think you have to try sleeping separately - buy twin beds if you share a double now.
- The single is likely to be used as a children's bedroom or possibly a study, while the double has a vanity unit wash hand basin.
- Peterhead seemed to be coasting until East Stirling substitute, Gregor McKechnie, squared the match with a double inside four minutes.
1.2(of spirits)medida doble feminine
- Many pubs now serve doubles as standard.
- Last night Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon admitted that offering doubles rather than singles was standard practice in all the company's pubs.
- I already had them figured for bourbon drinkers, and on receiving confirmation I poured a pair of doubles, left the bottle out and placed a tray of ice on the counter.
- Michael doesn't drink, but if you make mine a double, you're on.
- It seems to be more acceptable for women to drink pints or doubles now.
- Another gin and tonic, honey - better make it a double.
- Famous magicians excel in the use of stage doubles and even twins, in order to get spectacular results that seem to defy the laws of the universe.
- Bethany had played Tatiana's double in the mirror in the second scene of Onegin.
- Was this the real man or a double?
- Spark's friend, Nita McEwen, physically almost her double, was shot dead by Nita's husband in a hotel where Spark was staying.
- She believed that the members of her family had all been gradually replaced by doubles.
- The apparition is myself, and I stare dumbfounded as my double punches me in the stomach.
- This is too unlikely a similarity to be mere coincidence, and it produces the eerie suspicion/sensation that the women are doubles of one another.
- St. Jacques, a heroic fighter involved in the Crusades, was the exact double of Ogoun Ferraille, a powerful warrior spirit.
- Although, I did not need a mirror to see a double of myself, as my companion was the exact image of me.
- Here Lynch takes advantage of Lara Flynn Boyle's absence to cast Moira Kelly - a doppelganger Donna in a film rife with doubles.
- From one point of view, building a clone is no more remarkable than a gardener taking a cutting from a hedge; if I make a clone of myself, he will be my biological twin, not my double.
- To press their diagnosis, a second case was described who was Merrick's double.
- After accessing the computer database, he found out that the president had several doubles - at least five.
3.1(in bridge, dice, dominoes, darts)doble masculineto throw a double — sacar un doble
- The number of doubles which can be declared and the payment for them depends on the number of players as follows.
- Doubles of declarer are ringed, to make it easier to ensure that each player makes her compulsory two doubles of declarer.
- A player must hit his double to become a killer and can then start the business of taking lives from other players by scoring in their double.
- Not only this, but, fortified by the fact that I had drunk his lager by mistake, Ken managed to hit the winning double in the second leg of the last match.
- The declarer must hold at least 4 doubles to announce Plunge.
- If spades are trumps then an extra double is automatically applied to the final scores.
- If someone then bids higher, any previous doubles and redoubles are cancelled.
3.2(in billiards) doblete masculine(in baseball) doble masculine(in baseball) doblete masculine
(double win)doblete masculine
(two victories)the double — el doblete
- Oxenhope Recreation sealed a historic Craven Premier League and Cup double last Thursday night at Cross Hills FC.
- No one has done the double, won both the US and British Opens since 1982, since Tom Watson.
- Bilton remain on course for the double after Saturday's victory over Kirkstall kept them nine points clear at the top.
- Salford seek a double over the Tigers and after wins against Warrington and Huddersfield, a third Super League victory in a row.
- They have a better team now than the one who won the double in 1998.
- Dorset county player Carly Cummins has completed an international double with a comfortable victory in the Spanish sunshine.
- Ulverston Ladies Hockey Club can look back upon a memorable season, having achieved the double of winning both the Netherwood and Cumbria leagues.
- Though not as comprehensive as their win early in the season, Holme Wood Athletic completed a double over Oakenshaw.
- LEIGH RMI youth team completed a unique double by winning the NW Youth Alliance league and cup.
- United went on to win the double for the second time that season and Alan Hansen was left eating his words.
- Manager Stuart Smith was delighted to have picked up yet another trophy following Rangers' league and cup double last year.
- Yorkshire Martyrs are celebrating a second successive league and cup double.
- Wicklow did manage to score a double over the Barrow siders earlier this year, winning in both the League and Keogh Cup.
- Having taken the 4km short course race on Saturday, he became the first man to complete the double when he won the 12 km race yesterday.
- The team have now completed the double having won the County League earlier in the year.
- White, the first American to win the sprint double, is still able to compete at this weekend's IAAF Grand Prix Final in Monaco.
- There are also only 4 premiership teams that have ever won the double.
- It was Celtic's centenary season, and Macca was instrumental in winning the double, league title and cup for the club - not without the usual contumely.
- However, Andy Preece's side scored a league double over the Welsh team including a 3-0 victory at Gigg Lane.
- Having beaten the Aussies once, Britain are confident they can complete a prestigious double tonight.
- Holmes went one better than Britain's former middle-distance stars Sebastian Coe and Steve Ovett, who tried and failed to do the coveted double.
- Blackburn Under 14s made it a double, beating Barnsley 4-2 in their challenge match.
1.1(increase twofold)(earnings/profits) doblar(earnings/profits) duplicar(efforts) redoblarI'd double the amount of sugar — yo le pondría el doble de azúcar
- I'll double that offer — yo ofrezco el doble
- This personal touch has paid off handsomely for the bank with profits more than doubling in the past three years to €504m.
- She also kept her composure out on the course, more than doubling her overnight three stroke lead with a near faultless two under par 71, which included only one bogey as well as three birdies.
- The annual rent, under the lease, was one peppercorn, an amount which was later doubled.
- The economy, registering growth of over 6 percent, was one of the best performing in Asia last year, and the stock market doubled in value.
- After a blank first half, John Williams gave the hosts the lead which was doubled with Tom Daniels' first goal in three years.
- Even though Compaq's sales doubled from 1990 to 1993, pre-tax profits fell.
- Hilton more than doubled pre-tax interim profits to £156.7m, helped by a tremendous performance from its Ladbrokes betting shops.
- Six minutes later and just when the heads of a dazed and confused City appeared to be clearing, another sluggish reaction to danger saw Bury double their advantage.
- Women infected with the human papillomavirus are at risk for cervical cancer, but if they have HPV2 as well, the risk doubles.
- One explanation is that exporters faced considerable cost pressure in 1985 after the yen doubled in value in a short period.
- Here's a hot financial tip, fresh from the City desk, that's guaranteed to double your money overnight.
- Dell plans to double manufacturing capacity in China next year.
- As the demand for mortgage capital doubles, we have to make sure that the supply doubles too.
- There are now an estimated 700 abstinence programs in the United States and the government wants to double spending next year.
- The company is doubling output at its Fairmont, Ga., plant and boosting head count 8%, to 320 workers.
- During the adolescent growth spurt, for a year or more, the velocity of height increase approximately doubles; a boy is likely to be growing again at the rate he first experienced about age 2.
- Four new dialysis stations, almost twice the floor space, and an open plan arrangement are all part of a revamp that has seen the unit double in capacity.
- Use of data compression typically doubles capacity and transfer rate.
- Britain's female prison population has more than doubled in the past six years, with twice as many women as men jailed for a first offence.
- The fans should benefit from that new rule - it potentially doubles Friday's on-track action.
- Within two years the affected mines had recovered sufficiently to have doubled and, in some cases, trebled their profits.
- Even if inflation is a mere 2 percent, the cost of living still doubles in 36 years.
- An extra £3 billion is to be spent on private surgery over the next five years, doubling NHS use of private hospitals.
- Using cannabis once or twice a week almost doubles the risk of suffering psychotic symptoms in later life, researchers said yesterday.
- Even if merchandising income were to double the star's revenues, at current levels the company stands to take back around half what they have paid out.
- For each decade after age 55, the risk of stroke doubles for men and women.
- Last year, sale of steel from the bomb casings more than doubled his annual farming income to nearly U.S. $700.
- The Euroway Trading Estate based firm, which repairs, services and installs hydraulic systems, saw its turnover double last year from 2001.
- Not only has supply more than doubled, but twice as much oil and four times as much gas has been added to reserves.
- Schemes that promise to double your money overnight are guaranteed to empty your pockets.
- However, their stress level would likely double should any unfortunate event occur during their trip.
- The Liberal Democrats saw their representation double from two to four.
- These economies have doubled their ratio of trade to national income.
- The new capacity would help double annual production of compressors to six million units by 2006.
- Back in July, IFG said its profit was set to double by 2007.
- Since Whitbread acquired the business in 1995, it has doubled in size and profit.
- Further improvements have been pencilled in for 2006, when pre-tax profits are expected to double to £86m.
- Two years later, the property had doubled in value, so he sold it and decided to repeat the process.
- Anne said insurance cover for her home had doubled to €900.
- You will certainly be exposed to enough bad language in this play to completely double your present vocabulary.
2(fold)(cloth/paper) doblar por la mitad(fist) cerrar US
- By definition, a pleat is a fold in cloth made by doubling the material upon itself and then pressing or stitching it into place.
- Rob stood, doubled up both fists, and struck the giant in the neck.
- I looked at him, shocked and angry at his ungrateful outburst, then doubled my fist.
- I doubled my fist, and punched him in the stomach.
- The bandage was a torn piece of cloth and had been doubled over to make it thick enough.
3Cinema Theatreshe doubles the parts of maid and princess — interpreta dos papeles: el de criada y el de princesa
- It wasn't like playing two different characters at all, but doubling the same one.
4(sail around)(headland/cape) doblar
1(increase twofold)(amount/price) duplicarse(amount/price) doblarse
2(have dual role)the table doubles as a desk — la mesa también se usa como escritorio
- somebody doubled for him in the dangerous scenes — alguien lo doblaba en las escenas peligrosas
- the clarinetist doubles on saxophone — el clarinetista también toca el saxofón
3(in bridge, billiards)doblar