In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1in double-quick time — en un periquete informal
- Our news is dominated by politicians and shock jocks who constantly reduce complex issues to goodies and baddies in double quick time.
- Although the forecast for the weekend is partly cloudy, that can change in double quick time.
- Given the circumstances, I recovered in double quick time but worse was yet to come.
- But the next 200 wickets have come in double quick time as he claimed the 500th wicket in Colombo in early 2004.
- Totally focused, he has a single-minded approach to his trade and showed tremendous character to come back in double quick time from the cruciate knee injury he sustained in January last year.
- They were buying the best rams to improve their breed and made headway in double quick time.
- So if you are looking for a tried and tested destination where you can start operations double quick, you come back to Bangalore.
- We finished our drinks quickly and left double quick before the face eaters got any closer and just as one denizen of the night started to give Chaz the evil eye: Cyclops style.
- His early tackling was nothing short of woeful and they found themselves 16-0 behind in double quick time courtesy of three tries and two conversions.
- But the Scottish champion didn't seem bothered by such trifling details, opening up an early five-point lead to close out the opening set in double quick time.
- But her home is now the small screen, better put a lock on that recording studio and get her back on the telly double quick.
- Maureen was always available to help out with the running of the Club and could be relied on to get the scores totted up in double quick time and was never out in her calculations.
- It was a long row to the start line - the course was about 3500 metres and our opponents seemed to get there in double quick time.
- Our washing is now drying in double quick time since we installed a pulley over the Rayburn.
- Even those of us lucky enough to receive a pay rise are bound to find that it disappears in double quick time!
- Then pain will be finished double quick, no problem.
- But given some commons sense and better planning, a lot of these difficulties could be overcome in double quick time.
- He even scored nine goals in double quick time in his brief spell with Milan in 1961 in just 10 games.
- A combination of irrepressible talent and burning ambition saw him reach his goal in double quick time.
- You could be the envy of your fellow commuter if you whip out your Sudoku on the tube and complete the grid in double quick time.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.