In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The Octet is scored for flute, clarinet, French horn, violin, viola, cello, double bass, and piano.
- Last Round is for double string quartet and double bass, written in memory of Piazzolla, and conceived as an idealized version of his keyless accordion, the bandoneon.
- He plays not only his usual double bass but also a viola da gamba which strangely matches the moody quality of the Russian tunes.
- The double-violin they play, covers the entire range of an orchestra's double bass, cello, viola and violin.
- Eight violins, two violas, two cellos, one double bass, and a harpsichord are used on this recording.
- He tends to avoid expanded percussion and even double basses and to include a piano at the expense of strings, all to the end of getting the music clean and clear.
- She plays the violin, viola and piano, while Antonin plays the viola, cello, double bass, tuba, guitar and recorder.
- This is to get the terrifying dissonance of a low minor second with the raw vibration of the open bottom C of the cellos, while the double basses grind their b natural against the upper c, sounding it strongly on their top string.
- Everyone can carry their heavy bags of shopping home on the bus, and musicians with bulky instruments, such as double basses, harps or timpani, will have to use public transport.
- Using a double bass, drums and jazz guitar this original live outfit imitate dance beats you'd normally hear from samplers and turntables.
- Marty sings, Paul plays guitar and I play the double bass.
- The orchestra is small: in the Third Symphony, Harding uses nine first violins, eight seconds, six violas, five cellos, and three double basses.
- ‘The Bells’ starts similarly, before shifting down a gear into a bleak spell of repetition of a single, crabbed chord from cornet, bass clarinet and double basses.
- The tutti strangeness is that of an orchestra without violas and cellos, but in which double basses, contrabassoon and piccolos are prominent.
- Backed by nine musicians playing double bass, cello, violin and piano, alongside guitar and drums, this album truly is something different.
- The duo has assembled a smooth, spacey collection of downtempo tunes using real guest players on instruments such as deep double bass and fanciful flugelhorn.
- The sound here has a nice inner depth and the bass line sounds like a wall of double basses.
- Huddled in the middle of an otherwise empty Festival Hall stage is a collection of pianos, a double bass, a guitar, a suitcase, a waste bin, assorted bits of possible junk and a couple of amps.
- Built by Ken Parker, the violin covers the entire range of orchestra's double bass, cello, viola and violin.
- Among the strings, there are twelve violins, two violas, four cellos, and two double basses.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.