In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- On the other hand the stormwater downpipes that just discharge onto the ground didn't seem to cause any problems, so that may be how we do the stormwater separation.
- If he had requested, prior to the ingress of water, that Richmond check the rainwater downpipes and outlets, one might have expected him to have mentioned that in this letter.
- When he pulled the gunk out that was blocking the downpipe, it roared and shook as the water drained away.
- So this morning the unfortunate plumber is fixing my downpipe, which is, as it turns out, a minor job after all.
- With downpipes and guttering pulled off the building.
- Valleys are secured and tensioned at each side by chains which go inside the thin white downpipes to fixings over drainage holes in the paving.
- Roofs are of corrugated iron drained by copper spouts and downpipes.
- Check the condition of the gutters and, for replacement, use good quality cast iron or cast aluminium guttering and downpipes.
- Elsewhere, a section of James Street has benefited from a project involving the replacement of downpipes and facade improvements.
- The source of the dampness penetration can be - and must be - eradicated and quite clearly this will require simply replacing the defective rainwater downpipes.
- We'd already decided that the guttering and downpipes need upgrading but now it looks like a new floor complete with damp-proof membrane is going to be needed.
- ‘The wiring needs renewing and the chimneys, roof and downpipes are in a serious state of disrepair,’ said the aristocrat.
- He said the droppings had blocked the gutters and downpipes on the building, causing water to seep into the roof timbers.
- Also at that time I had a 2700 litre water tank installed in my side yard and had a plumber redirect all my downpipes into the empty pool and water tank.
- If you are on the top floor, the source of the problem may be coming from a defective gutter or downpipe, or defective roof covering.
- Waterfalls of algae stained the outside walls where the downpipes leaked, sometimes forming great puddles that would block the close entrances.
- He built a chute which taps into the roof downpipe, and diverts the water into a barrel.
- You can buy diverters that cost less than £5, which will channel water from a downpipe to a water butt or hose.
- He said the problem of flooding was caused by a blocked drainpipe and corrected by a redesign and additional downpipes.
- The cast iron gutters with copper downpipes need to be cleaned and painted with special paint.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.