In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(workers/minority/peasants) oprimidothe downtrodden masses — las masas oprimidas
- It's hard to see how some of the ideas could help the poor, exploited and downtrodden.
- All week, he has weighed whether voting would help his downtrodden hometown.
- Urdu is a downtrodden language for our nation, surprisingly so because it is the national language of our country.
- The school caters to the needs of Muslim children with special emphasis on the downtrodden members of the community.
- The downtrodden majority stay downtrodden because there are no opportunities for them to exploit.
- He said his black clothing symbolized the world's downtrodden people.
- His claim to be a representative of the downtrodden masses is, of course, completely bogus.
- Helping the poor and the downtrodden is a precept that has come down as a tradition well-remembered on Baisakhi day.
- Only the most optimistic would believe it at the first time of hearing; the more downtrodden cynics took longer to convince.
- It was hardly the image of a downtrodden victim, and the jury took just 14 minutes deliberating over her fate.
- What a breathtakingly practical way of helping a downtrodden group get going after decades of oppression.
- Those who are still moved by the plight of the downtrodden and shocked by the presence of injustice in our midst should read the book.
- You've already done your part for the oppressed and downtrodden demons of the world.
- It must have displayed the compassion you carry for the downtrodden and the victims.
- In the fight for change, the most oppressed and downtrodden come to the forefront.
- Do you think the downtrodden and the disadvantaged got rights just by asking the wealthy and powerful really nicely?
- He was portrayed as the savior of the downtrodden and of the victimized heroine, and is the most renowned of all Tamil stars for his screen fights.
- I must have looked desperate and downtrodden because she agreed to be party to the duplicity.
- He had great compassion for those who were poor and those who were ill and those who were needy and downtrodden.
- They only had need because they were downtrodden, and were only allowed to behave that way because they've never been shown a better way.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.