In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the economy has taken a downturn — la situación económica ha empeorado / ha dado un bajón
- Throughout most of the history of the United States, business downturns have been relatively brief - perhaps a year long at most - and recoveries have come soon afterward.
- Tech companies blame the sharp downturn in their industry for the big write-offs.
- The economist said the downturn in the US economy had played a major part in a change in sentiment.
- Critics have previously argued that the stability pact hampers growth by preventing euro zone governments from boosting public spending to stimulate their economies during downturns.
- And with the prolonged stock market downturn, employers are running out of the time for smoothing out prior losses.
- That's because highly levered businesses suffer in downturns as debt service eats into margins, and increases the risk of default.
- Over the years it has been shown that some businesses are better at weathering cyclical downturns than others.
- It is easy to blame the general downturn for the decline in telecom capital spending.
- Thus, the expected growth from the single market may have been held back by the downturn in the business cycle.
- Like many other dotcoms it's been hit by the economic downturn and the global decline in advertising revenues.
- ‘This contraction was expected as economies worldwide succumbed to downturns,’ the department said in a statement.
- The downturn in economic activity in Ireland in the second half of last year was unique in the context of previous downturns in the Irish economy.
- There is a great deal of irresponsible leading going on and a downturn in the economy will expose it hurting all concerned.
- Beaten-down big caps with the financial power to weather the inevitable downturns in business can offer investors spectacular rewards when the economy recovers.
- Overproduction leads to declines in profits and sharp downturns in the business cycle, and a viable balancing of production, distribution, and demand is referred to as a regime of accumulation.
- While most companies plan for economic or business downturns, they do not do the same level of preparation for disaster.
- Tighter border security is sure to slow import growth even more in coming months, although lower imports will worsen downturns in economies around the world.
- Out of all the sectors affected by the downturn, special activities holidays have fared best.
- By the mid 1960s, confidence in the government's ability to utilize fiscal and monetary policy tools led many to believe that cyclical downturns in the economy were a thing of the past.
- In past downturns, software spending declines usually trail the rest of the technology industry by six to nine months.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.