In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine desagüe (de aguas residuales)feminine canalización (de agua de lluvia)before noun drainage system — alcantarillado masculine
- Over 250 players used the pitches every week but poor drainage has put them out of bounds for the past two seasons.
- He employs up to 60 casual labourers at a time for his land drainage business.
- Only in the west, on the Isle of Purbeck, did some minor southward drainage develop across the monocline.
- The establishment of retention ponds to slow the rate of drainage downstream is a possibility.
- The flow ceases when sufficient drainage has occurred to recover the effective stress.
- The Steinbach field, through better drainage is drier and was quite adequate to play on in the weekend.
- He also drove bulldozers that excavated the lands preparing it for drainage.
- An improved system has been installed since the course was built and sand is regularly spread over the course to aid drainage.
- The main cause of surgical failure is postoperative scarring of the drainage channel and drainage bleb.
- He used the basic Roman system of strong foundations, with layers of rocks, stones and gravel to aid drainage.
- Hydrostatic pressure can build up behind a stone wall if there is inadequate drainage at the base.
- Bladder injury during colposuspension requires formal surgical closure and drainage for five days.
- Pressure inside the eye becomes too high, the result of an obstruction to the normal flow and drainage of fluid.
- It has more to do with efficient drainage to the east and inefficient drainage through their community.
- The deep ruts were dug to improve drainage so that more of the Yorkshire Dales National Park could be used for agriculture.
- The terrain here is flat, and the poor drainage encourages the creation of wetlands and bogs.
- Ventilation and drainage of their secretions is essential for proper functioning.
- The ECB is also considering improving drainage of the outfield as a second phase of the development project.
- However, it extends across the mountain massif to include part of the western flowing Dyfi drainage.
- A perforated plastic plate was taped over the base of the pots to retain the growth medium and assist drainage.
2(of fields, marshes)drenaje masculineavenamiento masculine(ditch/channel) de drenaje(channel/ditch) de avenamiento
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.