In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tubo del desagüe masculinecaño del desagüe masculinebajante masculine
- In east London youths dressed in drainpipe trousers and slicked back their hair.
- Drainpipe trousers (as they were then called) were also extremely popular in the punk movement of the late 1970s, worn by many bands and scene leaders.
- They were the years of drainpipe trousers, the birth of rock 'n' roll, and TV in good old black and white - and the over-50s wish the fabulous 1950s were still here.
- This was in the mid-seventies when the sight of brothel creepers, fluorescent socks, drape coats and drainpipe trousers was as outrageous as seeing a man ride down the street on a penny farthing.
- Reason to love it number one is: nothing about it is embarrassing, not even his outfits (think black leather waistcoat, striped drainpipe trousers and black ear studs), never mind the celebrity quotient.
- One was tall and very thin, wearing black drainpipe trousers that accentuated his figure.
- The menswear company has moved away from its association with pastel golfing jumpers and football hooligans and has, instead, branched out into baggy tracksuits and drainpipe trousers.
- I have on a pair of very tight drainpipe trousers, shirt and skinny tie, and a jacket whose thin lapels are partly hidden by a row of tiny badges featuring the names of punk bands.
- We are all more or less in agreement that the last ten years or so of the bootleg cut or flared shapes tend to be more flattering than the drainpipes or baggy clown trousers nipped in at the ankle that we all sported 20 years ago.
- It could be that your drainpipe trousers weren't quite narrow enough, you didn't have the current cool brand of shoes or you hadn't bought the last big thing pop record.
- I was the lead singer and used to wear tight red drainpipe trousers and thin ties.
- I was still in grey flannel shorts, and I'd see all these wonderful-looking women and all these guys with sunglasses and drainpipe trousers.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.