In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1feminine damasto play draughts — jugar a las damas
- They played all sorts of games: cards, draughts, and even charades.
- This game is superior in complexity to English draughts by virtue of the fact that it is played on a board ten squares by ten squares and that capturing moves have an extended scope.
- Once they'd finished their game of draughts, Jude and Josie began a game of cards.
- Of course there nothing stopping mum and dad enjoying the challenge of draughts, snakes and ladders or constructing a Duplo design.
- This is the Community Games main fundraiser and you are asked to support… The teams are now picked for badminton, basketball, chess, indoor soccer, draughts and table tennis.
- They played chess faster than we play draughts.
- The Pub Challenge uses traditional and popular pub games such as darts, dominoes, draughts and Connect Four, and its organisers Pubmaster say it aims to promote a community spirit in its hostelries.
- Badminton, soccer, volleyball, basketball, draughts, table tennis, art and make and model are planned.
- To be less abstract, let us suppose a game of draughts where the pieces are reduced to four kings, and where, of course, no oversight is to be expected.
- Sometimes, he'd set up a game of draughts for them to play and Jude was able to take his turn by feeling around the board for the pawns and deciding his moves.
- The highlights will, as always, be the athletics finals but Carlow will also be hoping for gold in draughts, Olympic handball and indoor soccer events with six teams competing.
- If they get bored, the shed boasts a CD player, dart board and draughts.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.