In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1puente levadizo masculine
- Their models are forts and castles, moats and drawbridges.
- But homes today don't normally feature ramparts, drawbridges, moats and six-foot thick stone walls to keep out unwanted visitors.
- This will create a moat around City Hall's castle with maybe a drawbridge to keep electors out.
- The drawbridges will be raised and the oil paintings mothballed as workers at historic sites around the country prepare to go on strike.
- The sandbags have been filled, the drawbridge raised and the moat replenished with hungry crocodiles.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.