In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1sala femininesalón masculine
- There are three bedrooms, a drawing room, a dining room, a kitchen and a bathroom.
- Special features include white limestone flooring in the hallways, oak timber flooring in the drawing rooms and dining rooms.
- Both the drawing room and dining room have ornate fireplaces and decorative cornicing with large windows looking out over the gardens.
- My brother's wife would want to run the house and use the drawing room and dining room - and where would I be?
- Downstairs there were four rooms: a dining room, drawing room, playroom and kitchen.
- This was once a state bedroom for visiting dignitaries but is now an elegant drawing room for entertaining important guests.
- It includes a drawing room, dining room, kitchen, the four bedrooms and a family bathroom.
- Double sliding doors between the drawing room and dining room have been recessed into the dividing wall.
- A second hall to the side leads to the drawing room and sitting room.
- As well as four bedrooms, the house has a drawing room, dining room, kitchen and a study.
- The main reception room, the drawing room, lies to the left of the entrance hall.
- The pattern is repeated on the first floor, which includes the ornate drawing room and turreted day room.
- Under the upstairs drawing room is a family room and smaller study.
- The first reception room, the drawing room, is to the left of an entrance hall with a marbled tiled floor and guest toilet.
- On the ground floor the drawing room and dining room have open fireplaces while the first and second floor contain the five bedrooms.
- The subjects, it has to be said, seem more appropriate for a dining room than a drawing room.
- He passed through the sitting room and the drawing room, coming to the partially opened bedroom door.
- I live in the biggest rooms: the drawing room, the dining room and the ballroom.
- The drawing room and dining room lie to the left of the hallway and look onto the front and rear respectively.
- The 120 square metre house has a drawing room, dining room, kitchen, three bedrooms and a bathroom.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.