In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(for woman, girl)vestido masculine
- Some designers showed fur as a trim - around the necklines or hemlines of dresses, or on the collars and cuffs of sweaters and jackets.
- The one thing you know about every single female character in Weiner's books is what dress size she wears.
- The girls were all in simple woollen dresses and white linen smocks, their hair tied mostly in ponytails.
- The bridesmaids wore Hawaiian-print dresses, a fashion mode echoed in the groomsmen's shirts.
- I've seen guests wear black dresses at weddings and thought nothing of it.
- She wore a long dark blue and light blue striped collared dress with short sleeves.
- She also hit the mark with her black silk flower print strapless dresses with their asymmetrical handkerchief hemlines.
- The chief bridesmaid Sheryl Chiffin and bridesmaids Clare Scott and Amy Smith wore ballerina-length ivory silk dresses edged in plum pink.
- And Suzy has to wear a bridesmaid dress the like of which has not been seen since 1983.
- This just shows white dresses don't have to be boring and can vary a lot.
- All the dresses and garments were well made, but I just can't see the theme of this collection.
- Women wear one-piece calico or cotton dresses, or loose blouses and skirts.
- Others appeared to float in broad tutu dresses worn with matching gossamer-light chiffon veil coats.
- I have a new spaghetti-strap dress I want to wear to our family Christmas party.
- Her figure expressed itself entirely through her flashy, expensive dresses and garments.
- Casual wear, evening dresses, classical gowns and avant-garde bra-style tops are all denim.
- An abiding memory for me will be the girls in their colourful dresses sitting on the lawn as they wait to leave, laughing and singing.
- She wore a black sleeveless dress and a black hat.
- Leoni wore a gold silk evening dress and silk top hat, while Deborah opted for a jacket, waistcoat, gold cravat and black trousers.
- Chiffon was the fabric of the night: everything from asymmetrical tops to strapless panel dresses was made in chiffon.
2(clothing, style of dressing)the local dress — el traje típico del lugar
- they arrived in formal dress — llegaron vestidos de etiqueta
- actors in period dress — actores con traje(s) de época
- they adopted Western dress — adoptaron el modo de vestir / la vestimenta occidental
- he took great care over his dress — se preocupaba mucho por su atuendo / su indumentaria
- she has good/no dress sense — tiene buen gusto/mal gusto para vestirse
1(put clothes on)vestirto get dressed — vestirse
- I'm not dressed — no estoy vestido
- she wasn't dressed for the occasion — no estaba vestida de forma adecuada para la ocasión
- she was well/badly dressed — iba bien/mal vestida
- a smartly dressed woman — una mujer elegantemente vestida
- he was dressed in white/rags/uniform — iba (vestido) de blanco/con harapos/de uniforme
- she was dressed in a kimono — llevaba (puesto) un kimono
2(provide clothes for)vestirshe's dressed by Balmain — la viste Balmain
3(prepare)(chicken/fish) preparardressed crab — cangrejo preparado
6(skins) adobar(skins) curtir(stone) labrar
8(decorate)(Christmas tree) adornar(Christmas tree) decorar(shop window) arreglar(shop window) decorar
1(put on, wear clothes)vestirsehe always dresses in black — siempre (se) viste de negro
- she dresses very well — (se) viste muy bien
- to dress to the right/left — cargar a la derecha/izquierda
2(dress formally)we don't dress for dinner — no nos cambiamos para cenar
3Militaryalinearsedress right! — ¡vista a la derecha!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.