In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1modista femininemasculine modistofeminine modista
- The cavernous hall is packed to the ducts with exhibitors: bakers, dressmakers, jewelers, DJs, hoteliers, videographers, mortgage brokers.
- He worked initially as an industrial draughtsman but from 1828 he earned his living in Paris with drawings of costumes for dressmakers and the theatre.
- As far as I knew not many dressmakers made clothes that would fit this tight.
- Men also do embroidery, particularly on men's gowns and caps, and work as tailors and dressmakers.
- The group consists of 3 families, including seven children and six adults, among them a mechanic, a dressmaker and a teacher, according to the National Justice Secretary.
- One way we learnt decision making was through the visits of the dressmaker who came to the house and made our clothes.
- Agreeing to let a dressmaker sew you a blazer will only end in tears.
- Expert tailors and dressmakers had been called in to make her dresses, for it was common agreement that none should outshine her in the coming celebration.
- As recently as the fifties, most clothes were made by dressmakers.
- At the time of the 1851 census in Britain, there were 268,000 milliners and dressmakers, as against 502,000 people working in cotton textile manufacture (including printing and dyeing).
- But if you can't afford the king's ransom needed to buy one finger of a glove, then do what I did: take photos of the outfits and get a dressmaker to make them for you.
- Along with dance lessons, there were trips and trips to the dressmaker to have my costumes made and fitted.
- More often than not, I must hire a dressmaker to alter my clothes.
- For the rich, dressmakers produced the most fashionable garments which often required both machine and hand sewing.
- Both my grandmothers worked for pay - one as a dressmaker and seamstress and the other as a children's nurse in an orphanage and eventually as a small businessperson.
- Luckily for me, Will's Grandmother was a professional dressmaker, and as such was willing to put my costume together.
- At the same time there were harness makers, tailors, dressmakers, builders, blacksmiths, wheelwrights, watchmakers, saddlers, masons and carpenters.
- He was the second oldest of nine children born to John and Mary Ann Quinn, a shoemaker and a talented dressmaker respectively.
- She's one of the best bridal dressmakers and also red carpet dressmakers.
- Female solo costumes might seem overpriced until you consider that a dressmaker spends 80 to 120 hours on a single costume.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.