In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The water hit me cool and refreshingly; like a rain storm after a prolonged drought.
- Earth is set to warm further in the decades ahead, bringing more and bigger fires, mudslides, heat waves, droughts, and powerful hurricanes.
- A high degree of soil exposure also results in high surface evaporation resulting in years of low rainfall becoming severe droughts.
- In many places, including the southern USA, hurricanes or tropical storms sometimes end droughts.
- Chinese officials say cloud seeding has helped to relieve severe droughts and water shortages in cities.
- We worked hard through droughts and downpours and no longer walked down to the far hayfield to dream.
- During climate extremes, whether droughts or flooding rains, those on the land feel it most.
- Tree rings can tell stories of fire history, seasons, droughts, and rainfall.
- Others have argued that these periods of droughts are not abnormal.
- The trip is made possible as after four years of drought, recent rainfall means crops may now grow.
- It may be necessary to provide water for high-value trees and shrubs during dry periods or droughts to promote vigorous growth.
- In fact, tropical storms or hurricanes have ended many droughts in Texas, and other parts of the world.
- World temperatures are continuing to rise and extreme weather conditions, such as droughts, floods and heatwaves, are becoming alarmingly common.
- That shows that we're having many more severe storms, floods, droughts, and heat waves.
- The drought began to break in mid-December when heavy general rain fell in Victoria, with more after Christmas.
- An increase in floods, droughts, tropical cyclones, and sea levels are also expected to bring a host of health problems in their wake.
- Floods, storms, heatwaves and droughts have created headlines in the UK over recent years.
- Across the world, extreme weather events such as droughts, floods and hurricanes are becoming more frequent and more intense.
- From hurricane to droughts, weird weather can shake up the economy.
- At the same time, large chunks of peninsular India receive less than normal rainfall, leading to droughts.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.