In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(pop, jazz) batería masculine(pop, jazz) baterista feminine Latin America(military) tambor masculine
- The band, consisting of a drummer, a piper and a fiddler, was playing a Torrencian song she knew, and she couldn't resist trying to join in.
- Each Scottish regiment also has pipers and drummers but these pipe bands are made up of combat soldiers, and are less formal than brass bands.
- By the time Ted Leo took the stage with a drummer and a bassist as the accompanying Pharmacists all doubt was quelled.
- During this performance the assembled pipers and drummers will play together in one massed pipe band.
- They reached their instruments and the drummer gave a drum roll to signify that they were ready.
- Both the bassist and drummer come from musical backgrounds of hardcore and punk.
- His presence was really special to me, and it led me to think about my new project dealing with the next generation of drummers and musicians in Cuba.
- The studios have pianists and sometimes drummers or other musicians who improvise as the dancers dance.
- Usually a drummer plays these rhythmic ostinatos throughout a section or a whole piece, and then repeats them using improvisatory variations.
- As legend has it, Cream took their name from a British music magazine poll which saw their fellow musicians rank them as the ‘Cream of the Crop’ in terms of guitarists, bassists and drummers.
- Despite wearing glasses, the drummer and bassist have very little problem fitting in.
- Regi and I are greeted at Glasgow Royal Concert Hall by drummers and jugglers on stilts for the Arts and Business Scottish Awards 2001.
- In my first band, Bored Games, Wayne the bass player already had a bass guitar, and the drummer had some drums.
- Things go from bad to worse when he and Philip finally unveil their prog-rock symphony to their unimpressed drummer, bass-player and singer.
- Coleman's second great band was Prime Time, a seven-piece electric group with Coleman on alto sax, two guitarists, two bassists and two drummers.
- The look of each dance group and each dance is different, but each begins with the drummers tapping on their drum rims and singing.
- Great drummers understand that drums are not only a rhythm instrument, that they are melodic as well.
- That's why I can take an orchestral piece and arrange it for four melodic instruments and a drummer, and not miss anything.
- The ladies rode on palfreys or were drawn on litters, escorted by gentlemen, squires and pages, with trumpeters, drummers and minstrels.
- Crew members prepare to race in the Dragon Boat Festival while drummers beat their drums.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.