In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Even so, the building has dry rot in places and the roof still leaks.
- There are also unsafe parts of the building as the stairs have dry rot and the main beam is rusting badly.
- Ironically, the rest of the building is in good condition apart from some dry rot in the North Aisle where a temporary floor has been put down.
- By 1952 about two thirds of the house was taken down to cope with a dramatic reduction in the number of staff available, a number of dry rot outbreaks and the bleak financial outlook at the time.
- There are more unknowns with conversions, and you could have dry rot, for example, which will have to be dealt with despite the financial implications.
- Apparently the building is full of dry rot and has to come down.
- Weir Baptist Church needs to raise £300,000 to develop a building on the site of the former Doals Church, in Burnley Road, which was demolished in 1996 after it was found to have dry rot.
- However, it was forced to send out an emergency appeal for help and funds after dry rot was discovered in part of the building and floods threatened to destroy the garden area.
- Bannisters have been stripped and eroded by the rain and Elaine's door has been penetrated by dry rot.
- If it has dry rot, whether you knew about it or not, you are responsible for getting rid of it.
- A surveyors' report revealed that the 18-year-old prefabricated building had dry rot and a collapsing floor.
- It is possible that a spark smoldered in dry rot in the aging timber under the house and later reignited, setting off a chain of terrible events leading to the children's deaths.
- But by the time Walter took it over, the condition of the house was already deteriorating due to dry rot.
- The former home of world-renowned novelist Elizabeth Gaskell in Plymouth Grove is another building which is in dire need of work due to subsidence and dry rot.
- The new visitor centre will replace the current crumbling museum building, which is suffering from damp and dry rot.
- Mr Thompson said money raised in a matter of months to repair the old church had been spent on re-roofing, tackling dry rot, re-plastering and re-decorating.
- However, the sellers ended up giving back a huge chunk of their profits when a termite inspection revealed that there was extensive dry rot in the internal framing.
- There was other, direct, evidence of dry rot in the timbers of the building.
- She alludes to the ease with which dry rot spreads in wood.
- The frame is all cracked now and if it stays like that it could get dry rot.
putrefacción de la madera producida por un hongo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.