In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1putrefacción de la madera producida por un hongo
- But by the time Walter took it over, the condition of the house was already deteriorating due to dry rot.
- However, it was forced to send out an emergency appeal for help and funds after dry rot was discovered in part of the building and floods threatened to destroy the garden area.
- It is possible that a spark smoldered in dry rot in the aging timber under the house and later reignited, setting off a chain of terrible events leading to the children's deaths.
- The former home of world-renowned novelist Elizabeth Gaskell in Plymouth Grove is another building which is in dire need of work due to subsidence and dry rot.
- However, the sellers ended up giving back a huge chunk of their profits when a termite inspection revealed that there was extensive dry rot in the internal framing.
- There are more unknowns with conversions, and you could have dry rot, for example, which will have to be dealt with despite the financial implications.
- Bannisters have been stripped and eroded by the rain and Elaine's door has been penetrated by dry rot.
- Even so, the building has dry rot in places and the roof still leaks.
- By 1952 about two thirds of the house was taken down to cope with a dramatic reduction in the number of staff available, a number of dry rot outbreaks and the bleak financial outlook at the time.
- If it has dry rot, whether you knew about it or not, you are responsible for getting rid of it.
- Weir Baptist Church needs to raise £300,000 to develop a building on the site of the former Doals Church, in Burnley Road, which was demolished in 1996 after it was found to have dry rot.
- There was other, direct, evidence of dry rot in the timbers of the building.
- Apparently the building is full of dry rot and has to come down.
- Ironically, the rest of the building is in good condition apart from some dry rot in the North Aisle where a temporary floor has been put down.
- The frame is all cracked now and if it stays like that it could get dry rot.
- Mr Thompson said money raised in a matter of months to repair the old church had been spent on re-roofing, tackling dry rot, re-plastering and re-decorating.
- A surveyors' report revealed that the 18-year-old prefabricated building had dry rot and a collapsing floor.
- She alludes to the ease with which dry rot spreads in wood.
- There are also unsafe parts of the building as the stairs have dry rot and the main beam is rusting badly.
- The new visitor centre will replace the current crumbling museum building, which is suffering from damp and dry rot.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.