In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- All this is evident in the city's duality, characterised as ‘two cities in one’.
- There is a precedent for this duality in leadership.
- He sparkled at us and talked of duality in our lives; children versus stardom, the scriptures versus the internet.
- It is impossible not to get lost in Watt's paradoxically neat tangle of ideas - whether it's her dialogue with Ingres or the almost alarming duality of photorealistic illusion and sheer physicality.
- In this realm of duality, issues of culture, gender and history certainly cannot be wished away.
- Presumably it's meant to further illustrate the themes of duality and inner struggle, but the only effect is that of an irritating side-show.
- It is time we got out of a mindset that encourages duality of standards.
- And this presents on screen the kind of duality of which Brecht was so fond on the stage.
- The implication of moving from limbo to salvation again emphasises the show's duality and the importance to so many of the idea that a country's borders might provide sanctuary.
- There's way too much duality built-in to such a scheme.
- To fit in with this, the play is full of twins as a metaphor for human duality: we can be this or that, depending on our choices.
- But our poem's horizon expanded far beyond this confined duality to embrace the universal, the human, as well as the intimate and personal.
- After the brief bit of prophecy, Watts homes in on the theme of duality that crops up in most of his books and speeches, a result of his understanding of Eastern religions.
- One is based on duality, on the perception of an inevitable separation between man and God or, not to be too theological, between man and reality.
- There is an overriding theme to this mural, and that is one of duality.
- It's a time of duality when decisions have to be taken.
- Hedwig is a figure of duality, spanning two sexes.
- Just how Gilliam's duality came about is unclear, but he apparently mastered it early in life.
- Sir, you are working on the premise of duality.
- All these nine characteristics have both weaknesses and strengths; out of duality of being, these unique natures can provide certain creative energies, motives, and world views.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.