In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This is made clear in a key scene from the first episode when the battle hardened character dubbed Sergeant Scream leads his troops in a firefight.
- The colourful character, dubbed the ‘Queen of the council chamber,’ has been part of city life for decades as politician, mayor, sheriff, alderman and charity tour de force.
- That was what Ellen, the car's owner, dubbed her.
- The media later dubbed it the Feingold Diet, and parents have called their support group the Feingold Association.
- Italian press dubs her the ‘Cinderella of Orbassano’.
- Christian Nerlinger has already dubbed himself the club's ‘forgotten German’.
- For years he has kept a newspaper clipping that dubbed him ‘the most hated accountant in Britain‘.
- This humble natural wonder may have a name, but I dubbed it One Man's Cascade.
- I'd see him on my shed roof or on the fence every so often, and I dubbed him ‘Chessboard’ because he was black-and-white, and I had to call him something.
- The project, dubbed the African Christmas Tree Promenade, is in its second year.
- He long ago eschewed the standard hip-hop uniform of sportswear and designer labels in favour of a unique look he dubs the ‘gentleman rebel‘.
- Soon dubbed the Wild Child by the media, the girl became a guinea pig for researchers who wanted to see how much human behaviour is learned and how much is instinctual.
- Apple Computer, seeking to hold its share of the education market, introduced a new computer dubbed eMac, designed specifically for schools.
- By early 1990, invitations were being extended for him to return to Europe in what some in the media dubbed his ‘victory lap.’
- The frenzy for designer homes has been dubbed the ‘brand-name property game‘.
- Last summer, the broadcaster tested video-on-demand with a new service dubbed Interactive Media Player.
- This side project was dubbed Fruit Bats, named after a type of large, flying, fruit-eating tropical mammal.
- But Clive Brassier, the tree pathologist who first discovered the disease, has dubbed it Kernovii - the ancient name for Cornwall.
- In order to make it all a bit more interesting they dubbed it the Big Bird Race and gave the competitors names.
- His lack of personal depth led Milligan to dub him ‘The Mr Nobody of the 20th century.’
2to dub sb (a) knight — armar a algn caballero
1Cinema(film) doblarthe movie was dubbed into French — la película estaba doblada al francés
- Before Jackie Chan made the move to Hollywood, his films from Hong Kong and China would be dubbed into English and released to the Western public.
- Some movies have been dubbed into the Dong language.
- Eventually two prints were found, one dubbed into French and the other with German subtitles.
- Like many, I dislike watching anime dubbed into English, but in this particular situation, you may find yourself switching over.
- The film has been dubbed into English so badly that it is frequently difficult to tell who is meant to be talking, and the humour is so juvenile that even children sat in stony silence during the screening I attended.
- Just make sure there are plenty of shots of the women from behind, so you can dub in some voices later without having to worry about lip-synching.
- As for being dubbed into Japanese, I think it's kind of strange.
- ‘We are planning a nationwide release next year and have ensured that the film can be dubbed into different languages,’ he said.
- He wants to know if they speak the language that the movie has been dubbed into.
- And Tricia Stewart, 54, and Lynda Logan, 59, have just returned from Rome where the film has been dubbed into Italian.
- Television is dominated by films and soap operas from Thailand and Hong Kong, dubbed into Khmer.
- The songs, when dubbed into films, have a slight lag.
- The sound for the exterior scenes had to be dubbed in later, a process that took months, due to the primitive state of sound technology at the time.
- The disc offers a choice between the original French language track (with or without English subtitles) and a soundtrack dubbed into English.
- No Kannada films will be dubbed into any other language.
- If they could mime with mouth and fingers, all that noisy rubbish could be dubbed in at the recording studio.
- The version of High Tension that is finally getting a United States release has been slightly trimmed (to get an R rating) and dubbed into English.
- In Spain, English language movies are dubbed into Spanish.
- It could be dubbed into Polish or Mongolian and you'd still be able to identify it as a product of Paris.
- This seems a pity, as her voice on the commentary track was quite pleasant, certainly much more so than the generic American voice they dubbed in.
- Among other things, she found it difficult to talk and look pretty at the same time, so a lot of her dialogue had to be dubbed in.
- The commentary was dubbed into twelve languages.
- Rather than having the actual band performance recorded on videotape, a professional performance of the same music was dubbed onto the tape for subsequent viewing.
- His performance is even strong enough to survive being dubbed into Italian.
- Thus, the usual pattern of Greek films being dubbed into English for American distribution was reversed.
- Reversing the cross-over trend, this is a Hindi film that will be dubbed into English and exported.
- Sound and voice-over narration are dubbed in.
- All the while their comments are dubbed in over top of the music - the supposed purpose for the video.
- The series will be dubbed into five Indian languages and will be aired on five satellite channels of the ETV network.
- The coming and going stopped, but nobody bothered to stop talking, because the sound would be dubbed in later.
- But the song was so popular that it was dubbed into the film later.
- Not many know that songs once dubbed into films have a slight lag.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.