In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Zoologypatito masculineanadón masculine
- The swan nest at Kempten Promenade, which was on danger of being swept away by the rising waters of the Garavogue River, is now inhabited by a duck and six ducklings.
- Predation is known to be an important source of mortality in eider ducklings, particularly during the first three weeks after hatch.
- The ducklings are immediately led to water and fly after 45 days.
- All visitors to the area and river users are asked to be especially careful to protect the young ducklings as they are very frail at present and need to be taken care of.
- She passed the large pond with ducks and their little ducklings.
- Everyone seems to adore the babies, particular our very young piglets and our ducklings.
- How wonderful it is to see the mother duck struggling to bring up her young brood of ducklings on Clifton Backies.
- He sings the praises of George, an elderly goose which has apparently taken a family of young ducklings under his wing and regularly helps shepherd them across the road.
- They had a duckling that didn't look like the mallard ducklings that were there already.
- That may relate to improved locomotion which is very important for young ducklings because they leave the nest and swim less than a day after hatch.
- On Sunday trainee veterinary nurse Laura Harrison-Allan was amazed to find a male mallard and nine ducklings standing outside the pen holding the recovering bird.
- The other day while walking along the footpath opposite the park I noticed seven or eight drakes surrounding a female duck and her ten ducklings.
- Crows prey on young ducklings while foxes kill the breeding stock if or when the opportunity arises.
- The reader may have seen pictures of a mother duck leading her ducklings across a road, marching in single file.
- Suddenly, there's a mother duck with a couple of ducklings off to one side of this road.
- Twelve to 24 hours after the ducklings hatch, they head to the water where they feed themselves.
- His dogs will be rounding up sheep, ducks, ducklings and geese, and guiding them through various obstacles.
- The ducklings are left to fend for themselves until they can fly, at about 60 to 70 days.
- Within a few hours of hatching, the 8 to 9 ducklings leave the nest with the female to look for their own food.
- The final highlight was a mother American Black Duck and her brood of ducklings.
- Among other treats, they enjoyed roast duckling, chateau potatoes, and creamed carrots.
- Mr Maclaine ordered the honey and pepper crusted duckling with a thyme polenta cake and a caramelised pear and vanilla bean béarnaise.
- Main course dishes ranged from roast duckling with a black cherry brandy sauce to chargrilled sirloin steak with paté and from rack of lamb to baked supreme of salmon.
- Those who enjoy Chinese style roast duckling with finely sliced wafers of ginger were catered for, as were those who wanted some Thai style noodle soup, and some regional curries.
- It promised such delights as swordfish, chicken jalfrezi, roast duckling, pasta and vegetarian dishes, to name but a few.
- Dishes included Cajun chicken, beef steak and mushroom pot, roast duckling and Cumberland sausage as well as a number of Indian balti offerings and blackboard specials.
- In England the most familiar and excellent combination is roast duckling with apple sauce and peas, a dish of the late spring.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.