In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1vertedero masculinebasurero masculinebasural masculine Latin Americatiradero masculine Mexicobotadero masculine Andes
- A number of run-down plots are also turning into dumping grounds, and this is leading to damage on the boundary fence, which could lead to problems with neighbours.
- What happens in one or two years when this becomes the dumping grounds?
- It is also a dumping ground for rubbish which can lie hidden under the surface as a potentially deadly hazard to anyone jumping in.
- Colonies still tended to be seen primarily as valuable sources of raw materials, as dumping grounds for surplus population, or as means of adding to the nation's stock of bullion.
- It is an offence to swim in the river, which has also become a dumping ground for rubbish, adding hidden dangers.
- By 1914 Wiltshire's canals had dried up and for many years they became dumping grounds for rubbish as the war pushed any development plans into the background.
- A dumping ground for rubbish has been transformed into a prestigious new beach hut site.
- There is a pond between the entrance gate and the main building of the tomb which is completely dry and virtually a dumping ground of rubbish.
- Two cavalierly installed galleries served as dumping grounds for works without an overt social consciousness.
- Then the ground was left to become the dumping ground for all the rubbish in the world.
- It is also a dumping ground for rubbish which lies hidden under the water until some rash jumper or diver makes sudden contact.
- For many years the site has been used as a dumping ground of many items including certain noxious material picked up by road cleansing vehicles and dumped on the site.
- They believe the estate has become a dumping ground for troublemakers from other estates.
- Now it is a dumping ground for surplus crops: out-of-date fertilisers and medicines, unwanted meat and cheap rice.
- She is calling for reuse and recycling initiatives to deal with e-waste, as the nation's landfills have become dumping grounds for these products which leak dangerous chemicals such as lead, mercury and zinc into the environment.
- A once-lovely park is now just a dumping ground for rubbish.
- The open grass area is now damaged and is used as a dumping ground by fly-tippers to dump old fridges and washing machines.
- Every other night youngsters are starting fires around here because people are using back yards as dumping grounds.
- It had turned into a dumping ground at the convenience of the people of the new estate.
- Discussions are underway at present to build a wall at the back of the dump to block-off the entrance to the dumping ground.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.