In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
(savory)apple dumpling — manzana al horno, envuelta en masa
- The stern and wild leitmotif was underlined with a hefty and very pleasant fruit dumpling in butterscotch sauce to finish.
- I ordered a potful of chrysanthemum tea and a batch of the fried pork dumplings.
- It was cooked slowly on the fire, and then Dad made a suet dumpling the size of the pan, and we really gorged ourselves.
- We chose traditional Chinese dumplings fried and boiled to accompany the main dishes and the potatoes in soybean sauce, which were delicious.
- The home-made desserts are supreme, in particular the clootie dumpling, bread and butter pudding and rhubarb crumble and custard.
- ‘The apple dumpling cheesecake has a whole apple pie mixed into it,’ a guy at the counter told me, as if that were the most natural thing in the world.
- Vicky was too full for pudding, but I was helpless to resist the clootie dumpling and custard.
- There are two choices of sweet - peanut butter ice cream with syrup or cinnamon dumplings with caramel syrup.
- The array of homemade treats continues with veal aspic, red beans, eggplant caviar, as well as different variations on dumplings like pelmeni, pierogis, and vareneki.
- Noodle dishes and soups are popular, as are boiled dumplings, shuijao, prepared with crabmeat in addition to the usual pork and leek stuffing.
- We managed to speak enough Chinese to order ourselves lunch - 2 plates of dumplings, fried rice and a couple of beers.
- But Japanese food is not only about sushi, it's also about noodles, soup, fish, tofu, dumplings and tempura, for a start.
- For dessert, why not try the hot clootie dumplings with prune and Armagnac ice?
- Vicky was particularly keen on the dim sum, which consisted of the Chinese dumplings, spinach wonton, Peking ravioli and mini-spring roll, served with a spicy soy dip and sweet chilli sauce.
- If Bea's starter and main course were marginally better than mine, her tasty Drambuie-sodden trifle was comfortably eclipsed by my mouth-watering clootie dumpling and custard.
- People snack on whatever's around: noodles, wontons or steamed glutinous dumplings wrapped in fragrant leaves.
- Appetizers include Spring Rolls, dumplings, Deep fried Wontons, a selection of salad rolls and even a Pan-Fried Turnip Cake.
- The recipe suggested that we should have the dessert while the dumplings are warm and the filling inside is melted (well, the dumpling dough will harden as it cools, so it is better eaten warm anyways).
- The finished dumplings can be boiled in a saucepan of water for about 40 minutes or can be added to casseroles, soups or stews for the equivalent time before the end of the cooking period.
- If the thought of minestrone with pesto dumplings gets you hot under the collar, then there's a bowl with your name on it.
- A typical sweet dumpling includes a typical ‘midnight snack’ consumed during mahjong parties, and is also associated with playing cards into the wee morning hours.
- Jacket potatoes are now becoming the preferred option to chips, pasta salads have replaced stew and dumplings, and beef burgers have made way for chicken tikka.
- Other possible ingredients for a more substantial dish with added texture include pasta, dumplings, croutons, beans and pulses.
- Sweet renditions of bread-like dumplings, filled with fruit and poached in syrup, are also common in these parts.
- This time around, I felt like making desserts dumplings, and researched the sweet gnocchi possibilities.
- Both Chiao and Sharipov have requested a special take-out of dim sum dumplings and fried rice for their Christmas meal.
- They also do traditional Taiwanese dumplings, boiled or grilled, and these are home made and apparently their most popular dish - it's like a little bit of Taipei in York.
- I remember making oatcakes, apple dumplings, stuffed tomatoes and jam.
- Everywhere you look outside, there are turrets and spires, while inside the tearooms serve Clootie dumplings (a rich, steamed fruit pudding).
- There is life beyond fruit cake, clootie dumpling, and meat casseroles although you wouldn't know it in my highland shop where there is little fresh fruit on display but there is always a good supply of dried fruit.
- Wonton, dumplings, steamed buns, noodles, soybean soup - I love them all.
- His simple tastes showed themselves in other ways: he took to drinking a thin soup for Elevenses, preferred mashed potatoes over anything fancy, and seemed to love nothing more than apple dumplings for dessert.
- The most common are fruit dumplings (made with plums or, in winter, preserved apricots) served with grated farmer cheese and bread crumbs browned in butter, with sugar sprinkled on top.
- Drain the passion fruit dumplings from the liquid and reserve at room temperature.
- This is followed by a light meal of bread, fried plantains, or fried dumplings and a hot drink early in the evening.
- And now, thanks to the generous nature of Yorkshire folk, she knows a lot about apple dumplings, pikelets and rabbit patties too.
- In between there are cakes, biscuits, croissants, flapjacks, crackers, batter, dumplings, puddings and sauces, all made from cereal flour and all containing gluten.
- When he asked if he could have some dumplings or apple fritters, I hit him in the face with my shoe.
- A place to restore body and soul over huge steaming bowls of noodles swimming in broth and shiny black bento boxes of sushi, dumplings and tempura, washed down with reviving miso soup.
- Pelmeni, available frozen at Russian markets, are meat dumplings, usually served boiled in a brothy soup.
bola de masa que se come en sopas o guisos
2informal(small fat person)gordito masculine informalgordita feminine informal
- It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't so short, but I end up looking like a dumpling, or a pudding.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.