In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1remolino de polvo masculinetolvanera feminine
- In Voyage the dust devil merely sweeps by and we are told that the atmosphere is so thin on Mars that such mini-tornadoes do not pose much risk.
- To me it looked more like a large dust devil (water devil in this case) than a tornado but the weather boffins know so I have no argument.
- There was a large sighted dust devil and a barn in Maine damaged by a dust devil.
- A furious gust of wind swirled around them and a dust devil appeared before them.
- Ten kilometers out from goal I heard from Belinda that a dust devil had just come through the landing zone at goal wiping out a number of gliders, tossing them into the air for long rides before they were smashed up.
- At the 45 mile mark I spotted a huge dust devil ahead.
- A dust devil whirls up on the street near us and reaches into the sky like a long forbidding finger.
- Outside there was a bracing wind, whipping up a dust devil of crisp packets and cigarette wrappers.
- This frozen, red planet should prove comparatively easy to explore compared to the ferocious conditions on Venus but, as Tom steps onto the surface, a dust devil, five times larger than anything on Earth, engulfs him.
- We wait for months to see a dust devil and finally catch one and there's this big power boost within a day of it?
- Raising his arms, the sky elf invoked a powerful dust devil with his magical control of the wind.
- Dave was just going on final and I was low again about 25 kms short only to find myself staring at a dust devil just in front of me.
- Since the electrified particles are in motion, and a magnetic field is just the result of moving electric charges, the dust devil generates a magnetic field also.
- I was desperate to find any lift, so when I spotted the dust devil, I headed right into it.
- The dust devil is no longer there, but I'm thinking that the lift will be.
- Later the skies filled in and a dustless dust devil came through lifting Neil's plane up and putting it on it's nose.
- Spirit got an unscheduled spring-clean in March this year, when a dust devil swept past, clearing Martian sand from its solar panels, considerably improving its power output.
- I was in a tornado as a boy and the LA tornados make me want to say ‘I was in a dust devil as a boy.’
- I can see the winds and the thermals stirring up the dust in front of me, and I figure I just need to be flying from dust devil to dust devil.
- A huge dust devil came up between the rocks (south facing launch), as Ralph was on launch.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.