In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tormenta de polvo feminine
- The Chinook crashed in a dust storm 80 miles southwest of the capital city of Kabul.
- The first bad omen was meteorological - a huge dust storm that some Afghans said was a harbinger of a repressive government.
- The drought claimed another victim on Wednesday - thousands of tonnes of topsoil, picked up by strong westerly winds and turned into a dust storm that covered a large part of NSW and southern Queensland.
- A violent dust storm struck Beijing Thursday morning, darkening the skies and sending residents scurrying for cover.
- It was a wild weekend of weather in some states, starting with a massive dust storm whipping across the southeast of New South Wales on Friday.
- Luckily, the dust storm had cleared and the full moon helped to illuminate the settlement in the distance.
- What you're looking at is a dust storm with winds as high as 45 miles an hour.
- It starts with a mild sore throat, often after a bad dust storm such as the two-day gale that raged last week.
- That dust storm actually brought some rain with it.
- Shamal is the indigenous word that describes the rapid onset of winds in the desert and the ensuing dust storm.
- I watched for nights as they came with rockets flashing red through the sky and again on impact so they could see through the never-ending dust storm.
- NASA scientists using satellite instruments monitored what they are calling the largest dust storm in the northern hemisphere since 1979.
- In late October last year, Queensland had its largest dust storm in more than 40 years.
- The training patrol turned out be a challenging exercise due to a violent dust storm.
- At about two a tremendous dust storm came in followed by hailstones as big as cricket balls.
- The dust storm carried over into the cavern, sending the exploration team diving for cover.
- The city witnessed an unprecedented dust storm and gusty winds, followed by torrential rain, on Monday evening, throwing life out of gear.
- Despite the dust storm, it landed on the surface and for a few tantalising moments started transmitting the first view from the Martian surface.
- One large storm system is churning high above the northern polar cap at the top of the picture, and a smaller dust storm cloud can be seen nearby.
- They could end up lost, his instructors had strongly warned, or emerge in the core of a sun or in the middle of a dust storm, a myriad of places from which they could never return.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.