In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1puerta de dos paneles horizontales que se pueden abrir por separado
- Examples include Dutch doors, which can be open, closed, or half open, and interior windows that can be curtained.
- There is a side-yard where bands play in good weather under a big tree, but today that area is closed off behind the two-part Dutch door.
- I followed James up the stairs and headed to the Dutch doors in the living room.
- The front of the house is embellished with a peaked roof, window boxes, shutters, and a Dutch door.
- She decked it out with family memorabilia-shutters from her parents' home, the brass letter A from their old retail store on the Dutch door, and the toy-size lantern that acts as a porch light, a remnant of her mother's childhood playhouse.
- A Dutch door is a swinging door made in two parts.
- It can also still function as a garage thanks to a set of glass-paneled Dutch doors opening on the plywood-paneled office side.
- Conceived as a Dutch door to nowhere, the work scissored out into the space it was intended to define, as though moving through a looking glass.
- The space is cozy too: It's equipped with big pillows and full-size chairs, plus windows that tilt open and a Dutch door to draw in cool afternoon breezes.
- This was a little Dutch door, cut in half horizontally.
- I gave up and ran to the Dutch door that read Pretty Boy.
- ‘Get out,’ I said once more, pointing to the Dutch door that exited into the side yard.
- Farm touches like the Dutch door in the kitchen make this a cozy space.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.