In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- When the Hohenstaufen dynasty fell in 1254, the capital of Italian poetry moved north.
- Prior to the modern period, states were justified by reference to their rulers, their dynasties, and their religion.
- In content, Soucek concentrates on the political narrative of conquests, rulers, and dynasties, along with brief profiles of a few literary and religious figures.
- This month my two-part series on the Dukes of York concludes with the dukes from the Stuart, Hanoverian, and Windsor dynasties.
- The relationship between Taiwan and China goes back more than 400 years, through the PRC, the Republic of China, and the Qing and Ming dynasties.
- How many rulers in the Herod dynasty are identified in Bible History?
- In 1740 war came again as the result of another succession crisis when the male line of the Habsburg dynasty came to an end.
- Two principal dynasties, the Umayyads and Abbasids, dominated the caliphate until 1258.
- Actually, the village is a living museum of buildings of the Ming and Qing dynasties.
- The massive monumental structures were intricately carved and decorated with scenes showing how the hereditary dynasties of the kings united with the gods.
- Many were built during the Yuan, Ming and Qing dynasties.
- The Emperor Yao is considered by some Confucians to be the model ruler and the ancestor of the Han dynasty.
- The Italian branches of the Habsburg and Bourbon dynasties were severed from their parent houses.
- The Habsburg and Hohenzollern dynasties abdicated, following the Romanovs.
- In each, there were normally at any one time many rulers and many dynasties contending for power, and within the typical dynasty often more than one claimant to the position of ruler.
- As a young prince of the Renaissance, François became caught up in the struggle between the Habsburg and Valois dynasties of Europe.
- He assisted in compiling the official histories of the Jin and Sui dynasties.
- The survivors of the English royal dynasty, led by Edgar the Atheling, fled to Malcolm's court in 1068.
- Founder of the Merovingian dynasty was Merovaeus, said to be descended from the union of a sea creature and a French queen.
- Sharif Ali bin al-Hussein is reportedly the current heir to the Iraqi line of the Hashemite dynasty.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.