In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At room temperature and a lateral pressure of a few dynes / cm, DPPC forms gel-like domains with a very characteristic propeller-like shape.
- The centimeter-gram-second system quantifies pressure in dynes per square centimeter.
- These cells were then perfused at a physiologic shear stress of 2.5 dynes / cm 2 and the number of adherent cells per minute was determined.
- Under shear stress of 6.5 dyne / cm 2 chondrocytes drifted on the matrix leaving trails of hyaluronan ‘footprints’.
- Water's surface tension is about 73 dynes / cm.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.