In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In addition, diseases resulting in impaired contraction of striated muscle, such as myasthenia gravis or myotonic dystrophies, may demonstrate similar abnormalities.
- Fuchs' dystrophy is an inherited disease that affects the cornea - the transparent front surface of your eye.
- Muscular dystrophies are genetic disorders, usually progressive, which can lead to profound paralysis.
- There are some people who have corneal dystrophies such as Fuchs who also have macular degeneration, and they can benefit from transplantation when the cornea becomes cloudy.
- The key breakthroughs in the mitochondrial disorders and Duchenne dystrophy had all been made by the early '90s, and yet a decade later, no effective treatments have yet emerged.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.