In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- These waves are channeled through the ear canal to hit the eardrum, causing vibrations.
- In some cases, a doctor may suggest inserting a tube through the eardrum to allow the middle ear to drain.
- The surgeon will make a small hole in the eardrum and remove fluid from the middle ear using suction.
- The ear canal is closed at its inner end by a thin diaphragm of stretched skin known as the eardrum or tympanic membrane, which vibrates as the air pressure changes.
- When the eardrum vibrates, tiny bones within the middle ear transmit the sound signals to the inner ear.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.