In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A warm, waterproof ski coat or parka is essential, as well as hats, waterproof gloves, socks, pants and earmuffs.
- She dressed in her winter warmest: black peacoat, warm scarf, mittens, earmuffs, and three layers of socks.
- Katelyn stood out in the snow, bundled up in her scarf, coat, sweater, and earmuffs.
- By 1997 the pair had sold more than 600,000 earmuffs on the home-shopping network.
- Sarah picked up a pair of black earmuffs and placed them over her ears and slipped on a pair of black leather gloves as Alli started the target machine.
- The boys ran through the hallways, wrapped in pea coats and scarves, mittens and earmuffs.
- A good set of earmuffs can reduce noise as much as plugs can, he says.
- Hearing protection devices, like earplugs, earmuffs and canal caps, are sold in drugstores and hardware stores.
- Noise-induced hearing loss can be prevented by avoiding excessive noise and using hearing protection such as earplugs and earmuffs.
- The company offers amber shooting glasses, folding earmuffs, and padded headband earmuffs.
- However, when exposure is unavoidable, use earplugs or earmuffs to protect your ears from most common noise sources.
- As for the night, you better have a good pair of earmuffs if you want to get a nice sleep down in downtown.
- Even if they portray the latest style or texture, earmuffs are just completely out of style.
- Billy noticed that there was no longer any noise, and took the earmuffs off.
- Gordon said for headgear the team members will probably wear headbands, earmuffs and caps in the place of traditional nassait.
- With two sweaters, three turtlenecks, earmuffs and a scarf, I had everything I needed for a wonderful European vacation.
- I took off my earmuffs and protective glasses, tossing them on a nearby chair.
- Each of the girls, as well as Ethan, wore their thickest coats and warmest mittens, as well as scarves and hats and earmuffs.
- Even with the earmuffs on, the noise was deafening.
- She was wearing a large brown coat that went all the way down to here ankles and a pair of large earmuffs.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.