In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1Religion Astronomytierra femininethe earth or Earth — la Tierra
- The emphasis that there are heaven and earth founds a distinction between the accessible earth and a transcendent realm that is yet part of the creation.
- The purpose of this project was to help settle the question regarding the shape of the Earth.
- Placed in that high position between heaven and earth, the priest is like Moses in battle: he requires people to hold up his arms.
- This is because Venus and the Earth orbit the Sun at a slight angle to each other.
- The faithless disciple aims for both heaven and earth and gets neither.
- We are admonishing those leaders around the world who would invoke war upon the Earth.
- The discovery suggests that life could exist on planets very different from Earth.
- It seems that several of the earlier philosophers had concluded that the Earth is a globe.
- Such a machine would break the bounds of the Earth's gravity and shoot off into space.
- And then at long last creation's groans and ours shall end and heaven and earth shall be one.
- So most of the fuel that a rocket takes on board is needed simply to escape the Earth's gravity.
- Holy God of heaven and earth, we are humbled by your divine majesty, and cast about for the best words to honor you.
- I realized then that the Earth is just a giant rock orbiting around the sun in this empty space.
- Neither the Earth nor the Moon is a perfect sphere so they do not behave as a point mass.
- Together, heaven and earth offer one hymn, one prayer, one feast, and one doxology.
- You may literally be in league with the powers of hell, ruin your life upon earth and miss heaven!
- The first chapter deals with the shape and place of the Earth within a spherical universe.
- He presents earth and heaven, flesh and spirit, as both opposite and parallel; they are counterparts that engender each other by turns.
- In fact, the earthquake was so powerful that the Earth may have even wobbled on its axis.
- At the side of the Earth nearest the Moon the oceans bulge upwards due to its pull.
- The course of life on planet Earth might even turn out to be described by such a picture.
- Psalm 104 is an extended hymn about the Maker of heaven and earth, the Creator and provider of all.
- Helmont saw the cosmos as a living, spiritual organism with no rupture between heaven and earth.
- All that occurs in earth and heaven or in past, present, and future is under the Creator's rule.
- The reason why these huts are here is because we wish to find a way of living that does not cause damage to the Earth.
- The dust would then scatter some of the sun's rays back into space, cooling off the Earth.
- God of heaven and earth, Maker of humankind, I cry to you!
- As the stones at the site indicate, this is a sacred place, a place of communion between heaven and earth, and through his dream Jacob recognizes its powers.
- Galileo used parallax arguments to prove that the New Star could not be close to the Earth.
- Mercury is also the only planet other than Earth that has a global magnetic field.
- Imagine a perturbation of the Earth's orbit big enough to change the size of the sun in the sky.
- This makes our very late appearance in the history of the Earth a sensible outcome.
- And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away.
- You would be scared out of your mind, but there is nothing more important or more desirable than going before God, Creator of heaven and earth.
- Has any other event been powerful enough to rip the veil that separated heaven from earth and reveal a new and living way to the Father?
- A new heaven and a new earth will replace the world as we know it today.
- God's reign is already present on our earth in mystery.
- He believed that the apparent rotation of the heavens was due to the axial rotation of the Earth.
- You say the Quran speaks of the sun and moon and that God separated earth from heaven.
- Never leaving his side, we will gather and store up all of the holy and loving thoughts inspired by the presence of the Lord of heaven and earth.
2.1(land, the ground)tierra feminineearth, sea and sky — tierra, mar y aire
- to fall to earth — caer a tierra
- In this case a motorcyclist was injured in a collision at a junction where visibility was restricted by a bank of earth on land owned by British Rail.
- The loosened earth and weakened banks are more prone to collapsing then.
- These do not actually include a power which would have enabled the council to go upon the land of British Rail and remove the bank of earth.
- Harvest in dry weather, shaking off any loose earth, and leave on the surface of the soil in sun if possible for a few days.
- When the flow slowed, the river would deposit its burden of silt, forming a new layer of earth.
- Sunshine fell through the plastic windows of the hexagonal room and landed on containers of earth now devoid of the necessity for protection.
- A hole is either drilled or dug through the surface layers of earth until a water bearing layer is encountered.
- January's garden is one huddled below ground; its plants submerged beneath a thick layer of frozen earth, itself shrouded beneath a thick carpet of snow.
- At the end of each day the rubbish deposits are covered in a layer of earth, and there are stringent measures to stop polluted water leaking into the ground.
- The fog, a misty white at the very base of the mountain, where trees still grew, gave way to earth and, as earth gave way to sky, sky gave way to storm clouds.
- Trotsky asserted that, just as an earthquake revealed the layers of earth and rock beneath the surface, so a social upheaval would uncover the layers of society and its myriad forms.
- They say the trees and the bank of earth next to the railway line currently absorb noise from the trains, and the loss of these will lead to more noise and shaking when they pass.
- We come to a bridge under construction, the solid grey concrete piles in stark contrast to the compacted red earth comprising the river banks.
- Lightning striking earth is the result of a stormy sky - which electrifies clouds with many million volts.
- I am 100 percent certain man and dinosaurs walked the earth at the same time.
- The weapons were concealed in a barrel, hidden in a bank of earth.
- Filling materials in an earth dam should be stable against seepage.
- We also used earth in the soil cement floor of the kitchen and one cottage.
- Made of rammed earth - the soil excavated from the site - the wall alleviated the need to buy soil or use wood to fence the property.
- Water movement through the bodies of earth dams can be studied using the Hele-Shaw models.
- Cover the ground with cardboard or newspaper, followed by a thin layer of earth.
- And the rear of the homes are banked up fully with earth, with grass right up across the roof.
- Vertical windows allow an appreciation of the connection between earth and sky.
- Veil desperately tried to leap out, but a big clod of earth landed on his head.
- The earth plummeted into what appeared to be a succession of bottomless valleys, first on our left, then our right, as we meandered ever upwards.
- The words Mystra had written seemed to sink through the paper and into the very earth itself, like raindrops to a thirsty plant.
- Her hands were covered with rubber gloves, and they were soiled with earth.
- As the fat, large drops fell from the heavens and hit the parched earth, the land that had once been in a drought rejoiced, and the angels were glad.
- As I watched them float to earth, I thought of the risks I've taken.
- Under the layers of earth, something begins to move.
2.2(soil)tierra feminine(floor/wall) de tierra
3Electricity tierra feminine British(cable/terminal/wire) (de toma) de tierra(cable/terminal/wire) a tierra Latin Americathe machine needs an earth — la máquina necesita una toma de tierra
- It is possible to stop a radio signal leaking into the ground via its earth cable by carefully choosing the height at which the antenna is mounted.
- When electricity starts to arc from a wire to a metal surface this acts as an earth and causes a massive current flow which would normally blow any fuse.
- It has exposed mains voltage solder points on top, no earth connection and one very flimsy and very dull aluminium end.
- Older electrical systems in council flats don't have earth wires.
- The earth wire was then sleeved in Techflex braid and aquarium hose with some heatshrink added to secure the end.
4(burrow, hole)madriguera feminine
- Foxhunters block up earths and badger setts the night before the hunt to ensure that foxes are forced to run until exhausted.
- Indeed The International Fund for Animal Welfare has frequently uncovered hunts around the country that use artificial earths and food trails to entice foxes on to their land.
- The night before the hunt, foxhunters cover up any earths and badger setts to make sure that the foxes have to run until exhausted.
- Some hunts even constructed artificial earths within their coverts to further encourage the fox population.
- Foxes, chased to exhaustion and death, are often dug out of their earths and feel great pain.
- They made a number of other estimates, like the number of cubs they believe were born on their farm, the number of breeding earths and other things, all of which were published.
- Many hunts take steps the night before, or early on the day of the hunt, to block up the entrances to earths, badger setts and artificial places such as drains.
- I will also point out that foxes cannot pose a real danger to game or livestock because huntsmen in some counties build artificial earths to encourage foxes to live and breed there.
1conectar a tierrathe appliance must be earthed — el aparato debe estar conectado a tierra
- It was only because the bottom of the sheet stuck in the ground and was earthed that James survived.
- Your machine is being earthed by the earth cable in the power cord.
- As deck crew, don't touch the winchman or cable until he or it has been earthed - sparks could fly.
- When plugged in, the pump is earthed and I have a little more piece of mind!
- Having first checked that everything was earthed off, we went unplugging cables.
- When the fencer is correctly earthed, all insulators and connections are correct and there is no vegetation growth on the wire.
- The outer (armour-plated) plate is earthed while the insulated inner plate is live.
- The system is earthed by the screws into the metal box in the wall.
- Brown found that although pylons are earthed to make them safe, it is possible to stop a radio signal leaking into the ground via its earth cable by carefully choosing the height at which the antenna is mounted.
- Using a computer in Antarctica, even inside the base, meant having to wear a wristband to earth oneself from ever-present static electricity shocks.
- They are not able to be earthed, filtered, or shielded electrically.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.