In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Mythologyla madre naturalezala pachamama Andes
- I ask all blessings, I ask them with reverence, of my earth mother, of the sky, moon and my sun father - the essence of life.
- The sprouting corpse evokes the promised resurrection of the dying god/king by whose cyclic sacrifice to the earth mother the barren land is made fertile.
- The prevailing religious practices center around the Cult of the Virgin Mary and devotion to the Pachamama, the earth mother.
- Well your own thoughts seem to have changed, despite this wonderful image that you've just drawn for us of connecting to the earth mother.
- The mother and child is also a symbol of the procreative, regenerative power of the Goddess, the earth mother, the fecundity of primal matter and again darkness.
- From the Greeks we inherit the concept of Gaea, or Gaia, the earth mother that gives rise to life in all its complexities.
- Polynesian beliefs refer to this time as Po, night, when the earth mother and sky father were joined, before their children separated them and the world was flooded by light.
- In this shift, the living nurturing relationship of man with nature as earth mother was replaced by the idea of man as dominating over nature.
- She longs for the spiritual power of ancient cultures, with their rituals of blood sacrifice, mortification of the body, and celebration of the earth mother.
- Yes, when she discovers him he is surrounded by a mass of crystals and singing loopy New Age folk music, proclaiming the need to praise ‘the earth mother, father sun, and sister moon.’
- Once they leave Bolivia, some Bolivian Americans fail to adhere to indigenous rituals and beliefs, such as a belief in Pachamama, the Incan earth mother, and Ekeko, an ancient god.
2(woman)she's a real earth mother — es la típica madraza
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.